It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Please click here to view the forum rules

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:27 pm 

I really didn't care for Christina Ricci's portrayal of Katrina Van Tassel. I felt her acting seemed very forced and wooden. And I think there was a huge lack of chemistry between Johnny & Christina, but I guess that could be because he had known Christina since she was a kid, so maybe some of the romantic scenes were a bit awkward because of that.

For least convincing scene, can I choose all of them? :grin: Honestly, I really can't pick just one...If I had to choose her best scene in the movie, I guess I would choose the scene in the church because it's the only scene where she seems to show any emotion.

Who would I replace Christina Ricci with? That's a tough one...I guess I would go with Kate Winslet as Katrina because she had nice chemistry with Johnny in Finding Neverland, and Kate Winslet is an extremely talented actress. She was 23 when Sleepy Hollow was being filmed though, so if they were looking for a teenager to play Katrina, that would rule her out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:28 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I'm pondering something, and thought I'd just throw it out to see if anyone else has any thoughts about it.

Many have said that the romantic scenes between Ichabod and Katrina are awkward, and this may be due to Johnny knowing Christina when she was 9 years old.

I'm having a hard time thinking that Johnny would let something like this affect his acting. He's just too much of a professional to let his personal feelings (or lack of) mess up a scene.

If people are noticing an awkwardness, could it be that is what he intended? Ichabod isn't the life of the party kind of guy, and it would be reasonable to assume he'd not be very savvy with the ladies.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this into the mix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:39 pm 

What is your reaction to Christina Ricci’s portrayal of Katrina?
I think she did ok, being up against Johnny's talent :yahoo: is quite difficult.

What do you consider her finest moment as an actress in SLEEPY HOLLOW, and what is, for you, her least convincing scene?

Her least convincing scene, I feel is when she says that she has already cried for Brom and is over his death, basically. I thought she was dull and cold. If she was implying at that point that she had feelings for Ichabod, well she certainly wasn't convincing.

Her finest would be when she first meets Ichabod and kisses him. :chocolat:

Play Casting Director: If you could use magic to erase Ms. Ricci and substitute another actress, whom would you choose to play Katrina Van Tassel?
Maybe Natalie Portman? Possibly Kate Hudson if was looking for a blonde and a bit of humor in the role.

I really enjoy :popcorn: it is very insightful to hear all these opinions :bounce: Great! :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:59 pm 

Oooh! Natalie Portman! I like that! :cool:
I'm with you, Joni, in thinking we (the audience) shouldn't have to make excuses for the actors, in terms of their personal relationships or backstories or age differences, in any movie. That really shouldn't have to be taken into account. I thought Johnny did the best he could interacting with Katrina's character as portrayed by Christina; it was more Christina's portrayal that I had a problem with. Ichabod did come across as an awkward, naive sort of chap who probably avoided familiarity with the ladies - but I didn't see Katrina being or doing anything particularly 'bewitching', certainly not enough for him to fall in love with her. Usually shy guys need someone with a little more emotional oomph to get them past their fumbling shyness. And, as you say, LadyAbberline, the way Katrina dismissed the death of her fiance seemed unusually cold. If I were Ichabod that would've been a red flag for me, kiss or no kiss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:02 pm 

I didn't think Christina Ricci did too poorly a job. There wasn't any obvious awkwardness in my opinion, just the natural awkwardness when feeling attracted to someone, especially on Ichabod's part. Overall, I think Christina really pulled off her fairytale role.

I think the weakest part of Christina's performance was the accent. Sometimes, it seemed as though she was focussing so much on getting the accent right that she wasn't really putting feeling into her lines. They were so dull, lifeless and prepared.

Most convincing scene; the beginning, like a lot of people have mentioned already. I also liked the scene when Ichabod finds her looking through his desk drawer. And least convincing would be when she when she curses the day Ichabod came to Sleepy Hollow :lol:

Alternatives to Christina? I really can't imagine. It'd have to be someone relatively young like Christina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:19 pm 

Thanks, Parlez. :angel: Sometimes I get lost :blush: in films (not just SH) and it's nice to know someone might think a little like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:00 pm 

:-?
I thought there was something off about her performance the first time I saw the movie. I thought perhaps she was too young to cast.

But I had seen her work before and since. I knew she is an awesome actress.

So I think maybe she meant to come off somewhat naive. She seemed awkward because her charcter was awkward. A spoiled young girl, who had been probably grown up with Brom and confused affection for love. She was brought up to believe she is better than those around her. Suddenly she is faced with a man who is so much more exciting than Brom. A bright girl with a very curious mind, she sees Ichabod as the perfect match.

And she believes she has an advantage. She has known since the first scene in the library that she could make Ichabod love her. Only when his carriage pulls away does she really experience the pain of her over confidence. I thought she was stunning in those scenes.

I must have watched this movie 100 times. I have found her performance fascinating. I don't know why, maybe because I cant' decide if she is moderately bad or very very good. And when it is all said and done, I would have to come down in favor of Ms. Ricci !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:18 pm 

I WANTED to like Christina 's performance in SH, trusting in Tim's choice, but I just never could. In contrast to Johnny, who can convey a feeling with as little as a raised eyebrow, furrowed brow or particular look, Christina seems stiff and expressionless. Perhaps it was the challenge of acting opposite someone of Johnny's caliber that was the problem - if so, she did not rise to that challenge.

She started off in promising fashion in that first scene where she kisses Ichabod - but the promise was not fulfilled. She was pretty enough in the role - and maybe she was written to be prim and proper - but since Katrina was supposed to be into white magic, you would think she would be a bit more beguiling than played by Christina. There was not even any sweetness about her. Frankly, I could never see how Ichabod could be "bewitched" by her - try as Johnny might to generate some chemistry between them.

Who else could have done better? Though she would have been a bit older at the time than Christina, I agree that Kate Winslet would have been a more appealing choice. Her acting chops were proven by that time - and the potential of a bit more romantic chemistry with Johnny is intriguing.

[Avatar courtesy of The Black Pearl at KTTC.com]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:22 pm 

Winona would have been wonderful in that role! but maybe too old. Or Natalie Portman...also a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:11 pm 

Or, how about Reese Witherspoon?
I thought of Winona too, and comparing her performance as Kim in ES - another young, artifically blond, presumably innocent girl caught in a fantasy setting - to Christina's in SH, well, there's just no comparison. Of course, we know there was chemistry between her and Johnny! :heart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:13 pm 

Parlez wrote:
Or, how about Reese Witherspoon?
I thought of Winona too, and comparing her performance as Kim in ES - another young, artifically blond, presumably innocent girl caught in a fantasy setting - to Christina's in SH, well, there's just no comparison. Of course, we know there was chemistry between her and Johnny! :heart:

Oooh I love Reese. My favorite movie from her is her recent Walk the Line, I think she would play a great Katrina.

Profile YIM 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:38 am 

Kittycat88 wrote:
Winona would have been wonderful in that role! but maybe too old. Or Natalie Portman...also a good choice.

I agree Natalie Portman would have been just fantastic! She did Star Wars that year though. But boy that would have been a great cast!
We can only dream :cloud9:
Winona would have had been great years earlier for sure.

He has a way of huddling down under his hat and his totemsBut when the camera was on him, some of the times, he kind of beamed Johnny out It was striking, like one of those magic powers in those hobbit movies.John Richardson Esquire Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:23 am 

Joni wrote:
I'm pondering something, and thought I'd just throw it out to see if anyone else has any thoughts about it.

Many have said that the romantic scenes between Ichabod and Katrina are awkward, and this may be due to Johnny knowing Christina when she was 9 years old.

I'm having a hard time thinking that Johnny would let something like this affect his acting. He's just too much of a professional to let his personal feelings (or lack of) mess up a scene.

If people are noticing an awkwardness, could it be that is what he intended? Ichabod isn't the life of the party kind of guy, and it would be reasonable to assume he'd not be very savvy with the ladies.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this into the mix!

Good point Joni :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:26 am 

Parlez wrote:
Oooh! Natalie Portman! I like that! :cool:
I'm with you, Joni, in thinking we (the audience) shouldn't have to make excuses for the actors, in terms of their personal relationships or backstories or age differences, in any movie. That really shouldn't have to be taken into account. I thought Johnny did the best he could interacting with Katrina's character as portrayed by Christina; it was more Christina's portrayal that I had a problem with. Ichabod did come across as an awkward, naive sort of chap who probably avoided familiarity with the ladies - but I didn't see Katrina being or doing anything particularly 'bewitching', certainly not enough for him to fall in love with her. Usually shy guys need someone with a little more emotional oomph to get them past their fumbling shyness. And, as you say, LadyAbberline, the way Katrina dismissed the death of her fiance seemed unusually cold. If I were Ichabod that would've been a red flag for me, kiss or no kiss!

I always take the way she plays that scenes about having shed her tears for Brom as the fact that she didn't love him anyway that it was an arranged marriage that would have taken place not one of love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 am 

Wow...

BRILLIANT thoughts, everyone! :grin::flashingheart:

Seeing as how Sleepy Hollow is one of my absolute, all-time favorite movies, I can say that I absolutely ADORE every single character in it, including Katrina, and I think that her chemistry with Ichabod was truly adorable...So I wouldn`t say that I had a problem with Christina`s performance, either.

Now that you all mention it, though, I can`t help but wonder just how different the film would have been, had Johnny been given a different leading lady :perplexed: ....

"There was a young man everyone thought was quite handsome, so he tied up his head and he held it for ransom..the whole town wondered why he had threatened his face; they couldn't understand, it was that kind of place..."

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next