Mortdecai Question #20: Mistakes

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #20: Mistakes

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:17 pm

So, we've come to end of another show. Close your book, put it up on the shelf next to the others. Of course there'll be another. We've got it in a bag out back. Patience -- wait for the announcement.

And one last question: What do you think of the fact that we read the wrong book?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Re: Mortdecai Question #20: Mistakes

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Are we certain it was really the wrong book? After all, the book and the movie carried the same mustache theme. Without the mustache fascination, Charlie would have seemed like a different character from Johnny's creation on the screen. And there was much in the movie that was similar to the book -- for instance, the brief trip to Russia. Having seen the movie just one time, I don't remember all the similarities but I believe there were enough to link the book and movie. Those who have read the other Mortdecai books have suggested that they were darker than the Mustache Mystery book. Since the movie had a humorous, fun atmosphere about it, the book we read may have been a better choice.

In the end, no matter which of the books the movie was more closely "based on" I am sure it was not literally true to any of them, so I am not at all upset about reading the "wrong book."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 pm

Actually, I thought I saw during the credits that the book was based on "Don't Point that Thing at Me." Maybe they should have listed both books.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:12 am

Liz wrote:Actually, I thought I saw during the credits that the book was based on "Don't Point that Thing at Me." Maybe they should have listed both books.

I think I have read that, too, but not having read Don't Point, I don't know how closely the movie followed it.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:18 pm

I, too, think the movie had a lot of this book in it. I haven't read the others, but would like to when I can find copies of them.

I don't think there was a mistake made in choosing the book. You probably could've picked any of them and we would have gotten the idea of who/what Mortdecai is.

That said....it's sad :sad: to see another discussion come to a close, even as I look forward to the next selection. :omg:

I am just now getting some time to go through all of the discussion points, so will continue to weigh in for a bit.
I'm trying to reread the book, paying attention to the prose and the poker bits. :ok:

:perplexed: Hmmmm...The Prose and the Poker could be a good title for something! :lol:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:17 pm

One reason this "mistake" was a good deal, I think, is that because of the separation between the two stories (book vs movie) we didn't have to deal at all with that proverbial problem: WHY is the movie different than the book???
We were able to enjoy both for what they were -- by themselves. Which, in the end, was a very good thing.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Agreed, Firefly.

And Snoopy, I'm looking forward to some more of your insights as well as more from Theresa, who just finished the book.

I will probably weigh in some more also. I've been holding back on a couple of questions, waiting for others to share.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Was this the final question? Because there is something else I have been wondering about ... or at least wanted to express myself on. :mortdecaiheart:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:50 pm

nebraska wrote:Was this the final question? Because there is something else I have been wondering about ... or at least wanted to express myself on. :mortdecaiheart:

It was. We should have asked if anyone had additional comments or questions. Waiting to hear your thoughts...... :mortdecai1:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:13 pm

fireflydances wrote:
nebraska wrote:Was this the final question? Because there is something else I have been wondering about ... or at least wanted to express myself on. :mortdecaiheart:

It was. We should have asked if anyone had additional comments or questions. Waiting to hear your thoughts...... :mortdecai1:

When I read the book I guess I read it in a surface way, enjoying the story, not looking for hidden meanings and such. I am wondering if I was the only one or if others analyzed deeply. I know sometimes here at ONBC we tend to ... errrr.... over analyze at times. Was there a real discrepancy in time and place with Bon's writing that would have caught my attention in a different way? In other words, if this same book was written by a contemporary American author, would a lot of undertones and political messages or double meanings been more apparent ? Or is the beauty of Bon's writing that the learned scholars among us can dig deeply for deep meanings and someone like me can just read for fun and neither is right or wrong? I feel a bit :dunce:

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”