Mortdecai Question #19 - Craig Brown's Chapter

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #19 - Craig Brown's Chapter

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:43 pm

What do you think of the missing chapter (Chapter XX), written by Craig Brown?

Did he sufficiently tie up all of the loose ends to your satisfaction?

Was he successful at mimicking Bonfiglioli’s style of humor, his baroque and prose style?

Was he a believable ghost writer?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Mortdecai Question #19 - Craig Brown's Chapter

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm late to the show...just finished the book today!

It seems to me that I just flowed along with all the wordiness of the book as I read it and then BANG! it was all tied up in one short chapter. Craig Brown did an okay job of keeping much of the cadence of Bon's writing, but he did miss a lot of the written musings of Charlie, where he talks to the reader to explain things. I liked that about Bon's writing...where he breaks the 4th wall to talk to his audience.

Mostly though, it was way too quick of a conclusion. It needed a couple more chapters to build the conclusion...but seriously, Hamwis?? Hamster Kiwis? Uh...no.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:21 pm

I pretty much agree with what Theresa said. The writing was largely seamless in tone and verbiage, but the hamster thing was ridiculous. On the other hand, this was a mad scientist Charlie was dealing with and the story had some ridiculously humorous overtones through out. So maybe ..... but the visual escaped me.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:19 pm

At times I thought he was inconsistent in his writing (but I can't remember where those spots were). Overall, I thought he kept the flavor of Bon. And he was actually pretty funny. One of my favorite passages is on pg. 159, where Charlie goes on and on comparing Fellworthy's moustache to his own.

"'Twenty-three years,' I sighed compassionately, 'and still little bigger than a beansprout.' (referring to Dr. Fellworthy's moustache) I lovingly stroked my own great rainforest, now so luxuriant that a well-planned expedition into its interior might well have found Mr Kurtz and chums exchanging pleasantries at its very heart. 'It might be time to start thinking of growing another one alongside it. The poor wee thing looks so very, very lonely. It could do with a little friend to keep it company. They could hold hands, sing songs and keep each other warm during those long winter nights.'

I rather thought the Hamwi idea creative. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”