Mortdecai Question #16 Eric Aronson Has Several Questions....

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #16 Eric Aronson Has Several Questions....

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 pm

At the screaming last minute, script writer Eric Aronson decides to pass his Mortdecai script over to you for one last go.

Would you change anything? It could be little or large. Anything you are glad he did, wish he did, wish he didn't?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Re: Mortdecai Question #16 Eric Aronson Has Several Questions....

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:15 pm

I wish the gagging hadn't been so over the top when Johanna and Charlie's kiss was disrupted by the mustache. There could have been another negative reaction that wasn't quite so gross. :yuck:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

It WAS a bit nauseating, but I thought it was perfect. It always made me laugh.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm

So I got very curious about Eric Aronson and decided to go searching for information on him. According to IMDb he is a screenwriter with two films to his credit: On The Line (2001) produced by Miramax and Mortdecai.

Cannot find a bio on the guy. Although there is an odd reference to him playing sem-pro baseball which may be a complete mistake:

Eric Aronson is an American screenwriter whose 2001 motion picture On the Line was produced and distributed by Miramax. He is also a semi-professional baseball player for the 2008 MSBL Champion Milton Breakers in Boston, Massachusetts. Playing right field for most of his career, he was Breaker of the Year in 2005. The C.I.A. has called him "evasive". He married Jen Winn in June, 2008.

Now, Wiki deleted the above entry as "This page has been deleted. The deletion and move log for the page are provided below for reference. 02:18, 27 January 2011 Joe Decker (talk | contribs) deleted page Eric Aronson (Expired PROD, concern was: BLP with unbelievable claims. Main claim of being a screenwriter for a single film is insufficient for WP:N. (admin: probably vandalized in part, but notability argument for the remainder seems fair enough)

If we hunt further we find that Mr. Aronson's screenplay for Tom Robins' Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates --yes that book, which remains on my altar of books that I am completely crazy about and always suggest to others --was on the 2008 Black List of "the hottest projects in Hollywood that you haven't heard about yet" I also ran down a reference to Fierce Invalids as "under development" in 2011 by Infinitum Nihil and GK Films, which we knew.

And then this, a short explanation from the mysterious Mr. Aronson about how it was that his screenplay got produced. Which after you hear may lead you to ask that proverbial "chicken or egg" question.

In other words, did Depp find Bonfiglioli or did Aronson? Hmmmm.....

Finally, David Koepp's comment on how the script came to his attention: I had not. Johnny sent me the script. [Screenwriter] Eric Aronson had found them in a used bookstore in London some years ago and responded to it, and he’d written a few drafts of the script. Johnny had read it and just loved the character. He just said “I know how to play this guy, I think we could have a good time.” I read it, and within about two or three pages, I knew why he wanted to do it, and I knew that he was probably the only person who could do it. It was such a particular part, and he is such a particular actor. "

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 pm

I laughed every time Joanna (and Charlie) did the gagging bit.

The only part that I would have changed is the scene early in the movie when Charlie tried to seduce Joanna and she put him out of their bedroom. When he turned around, he had a very obvious erection. That was unnecessary and really just didn't fit the tone of the movie.

And...well, since I took my mother to the movie, it was really kind of embarrassing!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:22 pm

And I totally missed that too.....or I conveniently forgot it :mortdecai2:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”