Mortdecai Question #15: Through A Miracle of Time and Physics....

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #15: Through A Miracle of Time and Physics....

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Imagine Kyril Bonfiglioli sitting down in a movie theatre and watching Mortdecai the movie. What do you think his reaction would be?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Re: Mortdecai Question #15: Through A Miracle of Time and Physics....

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 am

Difficult to tell since so many years have gone by between book and movie, his attitude toward various things might have changed. Also, he might have been more involved in the production if her were still around.

I would think he would like it, since they did keep true to many of Mortdecai's traits and kept the film silly. On the other hand, he might think it too silly if he was trying to send a message with the book.

'Tis a mystery! :mortdecai1:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:17 pm

I agree with Snoopydances! :mortdecai1:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:38 pm

I think he would like the humor and Charlie's demeanor but would be disappointed because it was dumbed down. But it's hard for me to say for sure because I did not read the book that it was supposedly based on.

I do believe he might get a kick out of Charlie's culture shock in California. I think that was keeping to the Charlie character.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 pm

I think he'd want something that would shock at bit. Funny, biting and a wee bit over the top. I also think he would be dumbfounded -- don't think he had a movie in mind!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Books are always changed when filmed, and my surmise is that he would have been flattered that Johnny Depp wanted to to do it. I think he would have been front and center at the premiers and on the publicity circuit, and would have joined Johnny and Paul in those interviews -- which would have been great.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 pm

stroch wrote:Books are always changed when filmed, and my surmise is that he would have been flattered that Johnny Depp wanted to to do it. I think he would have been front and center at the premiers and on the publicity circuit, and would have joined Johnny and Paul in those interviews -- which would have been great.

He probably would have enjoyed those. It kind of makes me wistful that he didn't have that opportunity.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Don Wells

Unread postby Don Wells » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 am

Sorry I'm late to the party, guys.
As someone who knew Bon, I can say that he would have revelled in the fact that a film was made of his work (though, as has been said on other threads, it was a mix of two books) and I'm pretty sure he would have loved the film. Yes, he would have quibbled a little at some liberties taken with his text but he was intelligent enough to know how the film industry worked.
Bon was very keen on films. His wife Margaret's book, "The Mortdecai ABC", includes correspondence with Michael Powell (Powell & Pressburger, producers of such brilliant, haunting films as "The Red Shoes" and "A Matter of Life and Death") in the early 70s when he was planning a script for a gangster film. On one of the letters from Michael Powell there is note from Peter Sellers, no less, to say "the idea sounds marvellous."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:06 pm

Mr. Wells, thank you for your perspective on the movie question as well as information included in the update to the other questions. It is interesting to know of Bon's interest in the film industry.

Don Wells

Unread postby Don Wells » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Call me Don, please, Nebraska. Mr Wells was my dad.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Don Wells wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party, guys.
As someone who knew Bon, I can say that he would have revelled in the fact that a film was made of his work (though, as has been said on other threads, it was a mix of two books) and I'm pretty sure he would have loved the film. Yes, he would have quibbled a little at some liberties taken with his text but he was intelligent enough to know how the film industry worked.
Bon was very keen on films. His wife Margaret's book, "The Mortdecai ABC", includes correspondence with Michael Powell (Powell & Pressburger, producers of such brilliant, haunting films as "The Red Shoes" and "A Matter of Life and Death") in the early 70s when he was planning a script for a gangster film. On one of the letters from Michael Powell there is note from Peter Sellers, no less, to say "the idea sounds marvellous."

Don't worry about being "late" on this site. Folks often return to answer questions, make comments. It makes it kind of a neverending book club. And it is so nice to hear from you anyway!

With regard to the "The Mortdecai ABC," I was so hoping that the film would do well, and another would be planned and the ABC book would be re-printed. It'a a hard, if not impossible, book to find in the US, unless you are willing to spend at least US $100. But it sounds so fascinating!!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Don Wells wrote:Call me Don, please, Nebraska. Mr Wells was my dad.

:lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 am

Don, I'm glad you came back to comment on these various threads.

Very cool note from Peter Sellers! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”