Mortdecai Question #12 - Favorite Passages

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #12 - Favorite Passages

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 pm

There were so many lines and passages in the book that made me giggle.

What were your favorite lines or passages?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

marija

Re: Mortdecai Question #12 - Favorite Passages

Unread postby marija » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Oh boy...I can't say it...I love the book and the film in its whole. :mortdecai2: :mortdecaiheart:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm

Hmmm. I very much liked the beginning of the book the best. I liked the infusion of food, liquor, minks and stewing in hot baths. Very clear scenes in my head, tingling with wit and naughtiness.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

The first passage that really made me laugh out loud was this one from pg. 53:

‘Yes indeed, especially now that her departure has been so unsavoury, if your suspicions are correct. As I’m sure they are,’ I added, for Wardens of Scone are never wrong, even when they are wrong. Especially when they are wrong, as a matter of fact. I mean, can you imagine the Pope saying to his Cardinals, ‘Look here, you chaps, I’ve been having second thoughts about this birth-control business…’

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:16 pm

Usually my ONBC books are scribbled full of notes and underlined passages, but in Mortdecai I marked just one passage, possibly because it was not only funny but quite possibly true.

there are people of a certain kind of brilliance who choose to defend themselves against merely clever people by radiating daftness. Brilliant people never have to worry about their abilities; it is not the kind of thing we -- sorry, I mean they -- ever question. Daft people are like them in this respect. It is only the merely clever chaps like you and me who munch our fingernails to the quick, agonising over their placing in the 1 to 10 scale from 'smart arse' to 'Vice-Presidential material' (that's reading downward, of course, from top to bottom)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

:lol: It kind of reminds me of this famous quote:

"Fortunately, I know how to counter it; the man who did the waking buys the man who was sleeping a drink; the man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from the man who did the waking."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 pm

There were a lot of really funny lines in this book. I had a good chuckle over this one.

p. 98: Mortdecai is talking to the Dominican Friar about the Jesuits' editing of some documents.

He seemed to have fallen asleep. When Dominicans seem to have fallen asleep, even the hardiest Jesuit climbs the nearest tree and pulls it up after him.

and back on p. 45: Mortdecai and Jock are having a conversation...of sorts

There had been no flaw in my reasoning.

"Eureka!" I cried, just as Jock entered with the blessed tea.

"I what?" he asked. I fixed him with a keen, hawk-like gaze, such as you might once have seen darted from beneath a deer-stalker in Baker Street.

"Watson!" I cried, donning my new persona as the Master of Disguise.

"Well, The Sound of Music's still on at the Regal, of course, and I think the Odeon is showing --"

"Very well, Jock; that will do. Let me put it this way: there is not a moment to spare, the game's afoot!"

This time he only gave me a pitying look and eased a cup of tea into my fevered fingers. As I inhaled the Broken Orange Pekoe Tips through my soup strainer, I fixed him again with the hawk-like.

"Have you your old service revolver in the pocket of your ulster?"

"Well I got me old Luger in the drawer in the kitchen table."

"Then call me a cab!"

"Awright, Mr Charlie: you're a taxi."

:)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Ha! Good one, T.

This one I thought was funny. In fact, was it used in the movie (or alluded to)?

"A lesser man would have said, 'Oh s**t, I've got into one of those large black limuousines again; when, when, when will I ever learn?' But I, being Charlie Mortdecai, said, 'Oh s**t, I've got into one of those large black limousines again; when, when, when will I ever learn?' and then put on my haughtiest expression and said, haughtily, 'You will let me out at once, please.'

My fellow traveller didn't let me out. What he did let out, from the inside breast pocket of his greatcoat, was the most fearsome weapon I have seen since I caught our charlady with the gardener. Yes, gentle reader, it was a "29." (For even gentler readers I should explain that this means a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum, Model 29 revolver, the pistol with 30% more clout -- muzzle-energy -- than its nearest competitor. If anyone points such a thing at you, don't waste your time hiding behind a brick wall: a "29" doesn't even notice such flimsies.)

I pretended to be frightened. This was not difficult. Then I summoned up what English blood I could muster and arranged a tremulous sneer onto my face."

Don Wells

Unread postby Don Wells » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 am

But, Theresa, you missed from your quote the next few lines, which I found funnier (or at least punnier):

'Then call me a cab!'
'Awright, Mr Charlie, you're a taxi.'
'How do you mean?'
'Well, I couldn't hardly call you 'ansom with that bleedin' moustache, could I?'

At first I thought the dreaded transatlantic language divide had hidden the rest of the joke. I realize now it's only Jock's failure to aspirate that might cause a problem.
Though Hansom cabs were invented in Britain by a Charles Hansom, there was a Hansom Cab Company set up in New York in 1869 (75 cents for an hour's drive!). Coincidentally, Charles H was from York in the UK.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Don Wells wrote:But, Theresa, you missed from your quote the next few lines, which I found funnier (or at least punnier):

'Then call me a cab!'
'Awright, Mr Charlie, you're a taxi.'
'How do you mean?'
'Well, I couldn't hardly call you 'ansom with that bleedin' moustache, could I?'

At first I thought the dreaded transatlantic language divide had hidden the rest of the joke. I realize now it's only Jock's failure to aspirate that might cause a problem.
Though Hansom cabs were invented in Britain by a Charles Hansom, there was a Hansom Cab Company set up in New York in 1869 (75 cents for an hour's drive!). Coincidentally, Charles H was from York in the UK.

Oh, shoot...I totally missed that! I thought Jock was saying he couldn't call Charlie handsome, not that he was talking about a Hansom Cab!

D'oh! :dunce:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 am

Who knew? Obviously not us. I'm wondering what else we missed. :mortdecai2:

Don Wells

Unread postby Don Wells » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Both 'andsome and 'ansom, Theresa. We're just not used to Jock making jokes.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Here's another passage that made me laugh...

p.106 -- Charlie is calling the American Embassy and gets the head secretary...who doesn't like him.

She made me spell my name three times, then looked me straight in the eye — yes, down the telephone — and assured me that there was no such person as Colonel Blucher and yes, she was his Confidential PA but she had never heard of him and gosh she was sorry but there was a call coming through on the hotline from Afghanistan and goodbyeeee.

I love the part where she looks him straight in the eye...through the telephone!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:20 am

YES! It's little nuances like that which made me like this book.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”