Mortdecai Question #8: Why This Movie?

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #8: Why This Movie?

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Making choices is an essential part of any actor's career. There simply isn't enough time for anyone to take on every single role. Johnny's choices often seem idiosyncratic but, most definitely, they represent the marriage of strong interests and practical considerations. We are asking you to put on your thinking caps and consider some of the reasons Johnny may have gone ahead with Mortdecai. And, what does it say about his priorities that this movie was one he worked to bring to the screen for a number of years?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Re: Mortdecai Question #8: Why This Movie?

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Peer inside the head and heart of Johnny Depp? :perplexed: I will be guessing, of course.
We know he loves to read. He loves books and words and Mordecai certainly gave him a book with plenty of words! As we have discussed, that doesn't necessarily transfer well to film, but I can see Johnny liking the book.
We know he loves the British comedies, he is a fan of Peter Sellers work. Many of his characters have had some humorous element to them and people who have worked with Johnny talk about how funny he is, but the humor has always been a sort of side element before. Maybe he saw this movie as an opportunity to add romantic comedy to his resume.
Nostalgia for old fashioned feel-good movies? Maybe he thought the ticket buying public, given a choice, would prefer to see something without robots and with minimal special effects and few explosions.
Maybe he just really loved the character.
Of course, there may be some underlying factor that we don't know, and never will know, anything about. I am thinking about how he (and other actors) donated their salary for Dr. Parnassus, something along those lines.

shaman-art

Unread postby shaman-art » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Those books had acquired some kind of cult status in the 70s and 80s. I remember him saying in one of the interviews that the books belong to the few that really made him laugh out loud while reading them. I can see Johnny fall in love with Charlie and wondering why there had been never an attempt to make a movie. And now years later he (or Infintum Nihil) was in a position to breathe life into that project.

Or maybe he just wanted to have fun at work...... :mortdecai1:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 pm

shaman-art wrote:Those books had acquired some kind of cult status in the 70s and 80s. I remember him saying in one of the interviews that the books belong to the few that really made him laugh out loud while reading them. I can see Johnny fall in love with Charlie and wondering why there had been never an attempt to make a movie. And now years later he (or Infintum Nihil) was in a position to breathe life into that project.

This would be consistent with some decisions he's made in the past (i.e. The Rum Diary).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 pm

I was actually wondering why he did make the movie. The books were not "good stories," all were different, and "Woodshed" positively unpleasant and misogynistic.

Like Nebraska, I speculated that it was his love of British comedy and appreciation for the bumbler type of character who comes up trumps in the end. He did try a "caper" film with the Tourist; and was considering the Thin Man; perhaps this was another go at the genre.

Or maybe the mustache itself was the reason -- Johnny loves his facial alterations in film parts. Maybe his own mustache has provoked some kind of response in one of his relationships -- sort of an inside joke.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:07 pm

I agree with many of the thoughts being expressed here. We know he's well-read and knowledgeable about history and literature, music history, art and cinema. Yes, he has probably explored comedy in the cinema for years, probably dug into all sorts of storehouses of information. I think he has certain things within film that he treasures and wants to pay homage to, and whether or not the work he does nets a monetary gain is besides the fact. Kind of gift what he is doing. I think he is far more interested in his own top ten list than in any external award for acting he might be given. It has to be exciting to work for a decade and finally get something you've been trying to make done and out there. Perhaps he takes a long perspective, believing in the importance of what he is going after. He has a vision and he wants to acheive it.

Does he care about the audience? I think he is willing to take a shot at something that may or may not grab people. He is a risk taker, witness how he was willing to push Disney brass to the edge of their comfort zone to get Jack Sparrow out there. Sometimes you win, sometimes you fall on your butt. I guess the advantage is you get to follow your dreams.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”