Mortdecai Question #4: Good Ole' Jock

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Mortdecai Question #4: Good Ole' Jock

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 pm

What did you think of the relationship between Charlie and Jock Strap? When you saw the pair in the film, was there anything unexpected or different from the picture you had created in your head? Did Paul Bettany work for you in the part? Would you have cast someone else?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Mortdecai Question #4: Good Ole' Jock

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:17 am

Interesting choice of name.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Jock was very different in the movie and the book. Book Jock wasn't really around much, for a good portion of the story Charlie was off investigating on his onesies. Movie Jock had a much bigger role in the story. Book Jock, for all that he was described as having the glass eye and being a large strong bloke, seemed mostly like a simpering servant who fulfilled Charlie's every whim. He was pretty easy to brush off as unimportant. Movie Jock was a much stronger character -- he seemed less like the guy who brought the tea than the guy who pummeled the bad guys. He had Charlie's back when the going got dangerous. Paul Bettany was positively brilliant in the role. I can't imagine anyone doing it better! Movie Jock wasn't like book Jock, but that was the way the movie was written, not because Paul misinterpreted his character.

Don Wells

Unread postby Don Wells » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Agreed, Nebraska.
Jock didn't figure as largely in the book as he does in the film. But the film plot was based on at least two of Kyril's books.
In the other Mortdecai novels, Jock was a much stronger character and was much more involved in the action, as he was in the film. His culinary expertise was nicely contrasted with his "large and looming" frame and a propensity for beating people up, but showing his domestic side would have slowed the action.
To fireflydances: I can't think of anyone who would have played the part better. (I will just whisper this, seeing that we're on the JD fansite, but he as near as dammit stole the film. Don't tell anyone I said that,)

shaman-art

Unread postby shaman-art » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Based on his description in the books I think Movie Jock looked almost a bit too good, even with the scars they had shaved on Bettany's skull and the contact lens, but I can't say I missed the one fang that belongs to Book Jock.

I fully agree with Don Wells: he stole the film. I've seen Paul Bettany in several movies over the years, but I didn't expect him to be so funny.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes, Paul appeared to steal the film. We expect fantastic performances from Johnny every time out, so his Charlie M was no surprise and no exception, but I did not expect Jock to be such a strong and wonderful character. :mortdecai2:

marija

Unread postby marija » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 pm

fireflydances wrote:What did you think of the relationship between Charlie and Jock Strap? When you saw the pair in the film, was there anything unexpected or different from the picture you had created in your head? Did Paul Bettany work for you in the part? Would you have cast someone else?

I simple had the imagination of Jock like the Buttler (I've forgotten his name) of 'Dark Shadow'...but I think they did make the right choise. :ok: :cool:
...it's not easy, to be different..."

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:26 pm

nebraska wrote:Jock was very different in the movie and the book. Book Jock wasn't really around much, for a good portion of the story Charlie was off investigating on his onesies. Movie Jock had a much bigger role in the story. Book Jock, for all that he was described as having the glass eye and being a large strong bloke, seemed mostly like a simpering servant who fulfilled Charlie's every whim. He was pretty easy to brush off as unimportant. Movie Jock was a much stronger character -- he seemed less like the guy who brought the tea than the guy who pummeled the bad guys. He had Charlie's back when the going got dangerous. Paul Bettany was positively brilliant in the role. I can't imagine anyone doing it better! Movie Jock wasn't like book Jock, but that was the way the movie was written, not because Paul misinterpreted his character.

We have an accord! :toastingpirates:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I agree that Book Jock wasn't around much, but when he was I think he was very much like Bettany. I think of the scene that I copied into the tidbit on Blini and Caviar. Here's just a bit of it:

Moreover, I am, as you know, eating for two: the moustache will soon contract beri-beri if it does not get its vitamins. Is there nothing to precede this niggardly repast?”

“Yet what?”

“Sorry, Jock. I mean, is there anything for starters?”

“Oh, Ah. Well, I do happen to have a basin of me French pancake batter standing in the frig but…..” I looked at him levelly. He looked back as levelly as a one-eyed chap can look."

“Oh very well,” I said and tossed him the key to the cupboard where I keep the caviar."

It's the bit about "looking back levelly" that gives the flavor of a Jock in control. And Charlie's quick collapse.

I, too, absolutely loved Bettany's performance. All in the face and quite a subdued but spot on face it was. Sigh. More Charlie and Jock, sniff..... :tear:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

I liked movie Jock much more than book Jock; he was much less coarse a character. I could understand the ladies succumbing to him, but not to book Jock. And I agree about Bettany -- he was delightful in the film.

As for the relationship, it seemed like Jock was less "used" by Charlie in the movie, that he was more a companion than an enforcer.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Joon IT

Unread postby Joon IT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 pm

I knew Bettany was a good actor, but I was really impressed by his performance and by the deep chemistry between him and Johnny.
I confess, I hope to see them play together again.
The world is still the same. It's just less in it.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Quite a response here for Jock. I would agree with those who have said that Bettany stole the show. I didn't really think of it that way at the time, but yeah, he did. But I was pleasantly surprised by his performance. I, like others, was not expecting it -- probably because book Jock was not as "endearing." Nor was he a lady's man.

HOWEVER, I think Johnny and Paul played off of each other. On their onesies, they would not be quite as entertaining.

Don, happy to see you've joined the discussion.

Welcome to ONBC, Joon IT! :wave: I hope that they play together again too.

Marija, Lurch (Ted Cassidy) was the butler. And YES, I pictured Jock more like that. Not exactly attractive, like Bettany's version.

Another person I thought of was Jaws (Richard Kiel), from a couple of Bond movies…..

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Interesting choice of name.

Indeed! :grin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery”