Black Mass Question #14 - The Berlinger Documentary

by Dick Lehr & Gerard O'Neill

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Black Mass Question #14 - The Berlinger Documentary

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger -- What did you think of the documentary? Was it what you were expecting? Did it give you any insight?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Black Mass Question #14 - The Berlinger Documentary

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Liz wrote:Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger -- What did you think of the documentary? Was it what you were expecting? Did it give you any insight?

I haven't seen this. Is it worth renting from Amazon?

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:21 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger -- What did you think of the documentary? Was it what you were expecting? Did it give you any insight?

Is it the documentary shadowydog alerted us to, that was recently shown on
CNN?

nebraska, maybe CNN has it available for online viewing -- it's worth a try.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:29 pm

Joni wrote:
nebraska wrote:

Is it the documentary shadowydog alerted us to, that was recently shown on
CNN?

nebraska, maybe CNN has it available for online viewing -- it's worth a try.

Thanks. I will look into that tomorrow.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:56 am

So far I haven't found the documentary, but this is an interesting interview with Berlinger.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

nebraska wrote:So far I haven't found the documentary, but this is an interesting interview with Berlinger.

I found the documentary for you nebraska:

Sorry, I don't know how to embed a CNN video.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Joni wrote:
nebraska wrote:So far I haven't found the documentary, but this is an interesting interview with Berlinger.

I found the documentary for you nebraska:

Sorry, I don't know how to embed a CNN video.

Your link appears to be the trailer. I think they won't make the video available on the CNN site since it is a theatrical film and is available for sale......just a guess.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Sorry, nebraska. Also Liz, I'm sorry for taking your Question off track.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Joni wrote:Sorry, nebraska. Also Liz, I'm sorry for taking your Question off track.

I don't think it is off track, Joni. For those who have not seen the documentary, a source to see it is related to the question. I am interested to hear from those who watched it. Anyone?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm

You didn't take it off track, Joni. Thanks for trying to find the documentary.

I'd say it's worth getting on Amazon. It takes a little different look at Whitey, the trials, etc.

Although slow in spots (unlike Paradise Lost), I found it worth my time. I actually watched it twice.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Liz wrote:You didn't take it off track, Joni. Thanks for trying to find the documentary.

I'd say it's worth getting on Amazon. It takes a little different look at Whitey, the trials, etc.

Although slow in spots (unlike Paradise Lost), I found it worth my time. I actually watched it twice.

Thanks, Liz. I just rented it on Amazon.com, but it might take me a couple of days to get around to watching it.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:30 am

I watched my rented copy of the documentary yesterday and since I have it for 48 hours I may watch it again. I didn't see much in this documentary that I hadn't seen elsewhere except for extended interviews with victims's families and law enforcement officials. The "evidence" that the defense lawyers presented was pretty flimsy. And really, if I get the point of the trial and documentary correctly, whether or not Whitey was truly an FBI informant was not the real issue in question -- although it became skewed to seem that way.

Whitey's claim is that he is not a rat. The guys working for the FBI are dishonest. The criminals who made a plea bargain and testified against him are dishonest. Everyone is dishonest except Whitey. He was not a rat. He got information from the FBI, not the other way around. They worked for him! Believe him. Trust him. His ego is probably big enough he believes all this stuff, or thinks we will.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 pm

nebraska wrote:Whitey's claim is that he is not a rat. The guys working for the FBI are dishonest. The criminals who made a plea bargain and testified against him are dishonest. Everyone is dishonest except Whitey. He was not a rat. He got information from the FBI, not the other way around. They worked for him! Believe him. Trust him. His ego is probably big enough he believes all this stuff, or thinks we will.

I thought that was funny. But I didn't get the impression that Berlinger was going along with it.

I thought the interviews with the victims and their families were interesting - esp. with Stephen Rakes. I also thought the relationship with Debra Davis's dad and Rakes was interesting (I think that was Debra Davis's dad).

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:Whitey's claim is that he is not a rat. The guys working for the FBI are dishonest. The criminals who made a plea bargain and testified against him are dishonest. Everyone is dishonest except Whitey. He was not a rat. He got information from the FBI, not the other way around. They worked for him! Believe him. Trust him. His ego is probably big enough he believes all this stuff, or thinks we will.

I thought that was funny. But I didn't get the impression that Berlinger was going along with it.

I thought the interviews with the victims and their families were interesting - esp. with Stephen Rakes. I also thought the relationship with Debra Davis's dad and Rakes was interesting (I think that was Debra Davis's dad).

I believe it was her brother.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:57 am

That's it. I guess he was too young to be her dad, although she seemed younger than Rakes at the time. Thanks, nebraska.

Return to “Black Mass”