Black Mass Question #6: Boston and the Southie Mentality

by Dick Lehr & Gerard O'Neill

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Black Mass Question #6: Boston and the Southie Mentality

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 am

Dick Lehr said in the Phoenix interview, “Boston has an insatiable appetite for all things Boston. That's a big overlay, whether it's the Red Sox or the Celtics, sports or politics.” And South Boston “clung to an often perverse territorial pride.” (Ed.Magazine)

Comment on Boston’s narcissism and South Boston’s us-versus-them mentality?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Re: Boston and the Southie Mentality

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:06 am

I think a lot of it is more on the lines of a tribal mentality based on the ethnicity of those who live there.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Re: Boston and the Southie Mentality

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:23 pm

I am not sure how much of this is specific to Boston and how much of it applies to any locality. The joke around my little town is that if you weren't born here (for generations) you are not really from here -- we have lived here for 40 + years -- but we will never be "from here".

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Black Mass Question #6: Boston and the Southie Mentality

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:56 am

I do believe that this mentality is not limited to Boston.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Geesh! Don't we have one, single solitary Boston denizen on this website? We need someone to give us the insiders' perspective on this question, folks.

Now as a New Yorker who occasionally ventured up the coast, I'd say the only thing that totally stands out in my mind from visits up that way is the accent, and the delight locals have in confounding outsiders with obscure terms -- stuff like packie and frappe. That, and they are really (really) into their teams.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:42 pm

fireflydances wrote:Geesh! Don't we have one, single solitary Boston denizen on this website? We need someone to give us the insiders' perspective on this question, folks.

Now as a New Yorker who occasionally ventured up the coast, I'd say the only thing that totally stands out in my mind from visits up that way is the accent, and the delight locals have in confounding outsiders with obscure terms -- stuff like packie and frappe. That, and they are really (really) into their teams.

Well youse guys up there in the Bronx ain't much better. :harhar:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:53 pm

I find it very interesting. That's all I have. :-|
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:48 am

moviemom wrote:I find it very interesting. That's all I have. :-|

Well, Florida, is a whole other world. Glad you joined the discussion, moviemom.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Liz wrote:“Boston has an insatiable appetite for all things Boston. ”

I think you could probably say the same about Chicago. :yes:

shadowydog wrote:
fireflydances wrote: That, and they are really (really) into their teams.

Well youse guys up there in the Bronx ain't much better. :harhar:

I have NO idea what you guys are talking about! :whistle: :-O

I've always had a real soft spot for Boston, I think because in many ways it's a lot like Chicago. When I meet people from Boston, there's a sort of similar mentality. There's this weird pride about our respective cities that I can't quite explain or even fully justify. We both had a loveable loser baseball team that we're crazy passionate about (although I guess we're alone on that now - the loser part, not the passion). Both cities were in hockey's original 6 - and don't you forget it. Maybe we each feel like we play second fiddle to New York in some ways, and we carry a bit of a chip on our shoulder about it. We both have this strong appreciation for our city's past. We both have insane St. Patrick's Day celebrations. I don't know, I can't quite explain it but it's there and you can feel it. I don't get that same feeling when I meet people from other cities. Or when I visit other cities. Boston feels, I don't know, homey.

And I just love the accent. Which I now know is actually four accents, thank you. :-O But I'm way off topic ...

Um, yeah, narcissism... maybe a little. :blush: "Perverse territorial pride"... um, Chicago only has one major league baseball team that I'm aware of... :lol:

p.s. - Sorry I'm late to the discussion!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:09 am

Glad you joined the discussion, RR.

I had a feeling that there were other cities that had extreme territorial pride. We could probably all come up with other examples of territorial pride in other situations or high profile cases. We just happen to be talking about Whitey and Boston.

Return to “Black Mass”