The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #27 - Final Thoughts

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #27 - Final Thoughts

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:53 am

I'm sad to say, Noodlemantras, that we've come to the end of another discussion......well, actually let's not put it that way. Let's just say this is our last question. I still feel like I want to go back and post additional thoughts to some of the questions. So I hope you all feel free to do the same.

Thanks to all of you for the great discussion. :worldhug:

Here is our final question:

Final thoughts? Is there anything you wanted to discuss that we didn't bring up?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #27 - Final Thoughts

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 am

I joined the conversation a bit late, myself...I still need to go through the other ones to see what's been said.

I think this one was definitely a good read and a great discussion. :applause2: I learned a lot in the tidbits (as always) and am sorry to see this one come to a close.

But I'll revisit those other questions and add my :twocents: this week.

Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks again, ladies for leading the the way...lots of thought-provoking stuff in this one. :perplexed: :ohyes:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Already? :-O It has certainly been interesting. Thanks to our leaders for an enormous amount of work put into this project -- the tidbits were amazing. And to all who participated in the discussion, thanks for lots to think about!

As I said in one of the discussions, I had a hard time grasping the story. I wonder if I was the only one. It was after reading the book, reading the tidbits, watching the German movie version on DVD with extra features, watching the American movie, and then reading the book a second time that I began to "get" it. I wonder if some of this was a cultural issue. Would I have been able to keep characters straight if them had been named Tom Smith and Ed Jones? Would I have been able to envision an apartment building in New York City more easily? A Thanksgiving parade more so than Carnival time? Was there something in the translation process or was the writing style simply confusing? Does this touch on the question about reading internationally?

I would really encourage anyone who has a chance to watch the movies to do so. Both were mostly faithful to the book, although taking place in different countries with slightly different circumstances. And the Kris Kristofferson portrayal of the Ludwig character is worth the price of admission. :thud: (Perhaps my age is showing)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:55 pm

How was Marlo Thomas? I was a big fan when she was in That Girl.

I don't remember having problems reading the book. I had problems remembering the book. :lol: I definitely got confused with the names at times, though.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Liz wrote:How was Marlo Thomas? I was a big fan when she was in That Girl.

I don't remember having problems reading the book. I had problems remembering the book. :lol: I definitely got confused with the names at times, though.

Marlo Thomas was excellent in the role. But she was a slightly softer, warmer, more vulnerable Katharina character than her German counterpart, and if I had to choose, I would say she was slightly less believable because of that. But still very good!
Reading the book, I couldn't quite realize that the whole story takes place in a four day span of time in spite of all the puddling and canal and dam building that prefaced pieces of the story. And I really didn't know that "dear Ludwig" was in fact a stranger, the way Katharina kept thinking of him he seemed more like a long term lover. But perhaps that was intentional since that was how the police perceived and presented the relationship.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:19 am

My final thought: Why do the book discussions always zip by so quickly!? :redcar:

The discussion was, as always, both educational and enjoyable. I learned a a great deal about post-WWII Germany, not to mention what everyone was doing in the 70s. :biggrin: Hey, I even got a new recipe out of this one! :ok: And there really is a lot to think about with this discussion from a sociological perspective. Thanks again Liz and Firefly for all your hard work! :bouquet: You are both treasures!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 am

They do zip by quickly, RR, like my life. :-/

Nebraska, I agree with the time issue. It seemed like a month.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Amazing that such a small book could occupy us so completely! So much relevance to our lives. When the tidbits start I am never quite sure that we have an audience -- so quiet at the beginnings--but once the questions start and the ideas being to fly, it's so lovely, so much like sitting in large circle and each one of us jumping up excitedly or calling out "me too, me too!"

This is a very good way to know a book and become flooded by so many things that impinge on the book -- recipes, poetry and song, the landscape of cities.

Looking forward already to the next one. :biggrin:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

fireflydances wrote:Amazing that such a small book could occupy us so completely! So much relevance to our lives. When the tidbits start I am never quite sure that we have an audience -- so quiet at the beginnings--but once the questions start and the ideas being to fly, it's so lovely, so much like sitting in large circle and each one of us jumping up excitedly or calling out "me too, me too!"

This is a very good way to know a book and become flooded by so many things that impinge on the book -- recipes, poetry and song, the landscape of cities.

Looking forward already to the next one. :biggrin:

Any hints what that book will be?

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Although real life issues kept me from reading the book and participating in the discussion this time, I did eagerly read the tidbits, questions and answers.

Thanks to Liz, fireflydances and all the participating Zoners for another successful and informative discussion!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 pm

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:Looking forward already to the next one. :biggrin:

Any hints what that book will be?

Gee whiz, but that'd be giving it away. :whistle:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:09 am

Wait, wait! I''m not done yet!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Buster wrote:Wait, wait! I''m not done yet!

We are still here. We have merely left our chairs for a moment, in search of nibbles or to attend to some urgent or merely irritating task. You'll post your remarks and we'll hurry back to read your comments and launch our responses.

Nothing like an opinion to inspire a response.

:writer: :writer2: :zoner: :parrot: :reader: :ONBC: :noodlemantra:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 am

Okay...
Do you think Katharina is in debt to Blorna?
Or, perhaps, vice versa?

Is violence ever an appropriate response?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Buster wrote:Okay...
Do you think Katharina is in debt to Blorna?
Or, perhaps, vice versa?

Is violence ever an appropriate response?

I may be naive, but I thought there was a mutual respect and appreciation between Katharina and the Blornas. They helped her finance her apartment purchase -- she worked hard and paid her own way by making use of the opportunity they gave her. She provided a comfortable orderly environment as their housekeeper -- they paid her well for her services and allowed her the luxury of participating in social events when her work was completed. There was probably a sense of appreciation on both sides, but I wouldn't say anyone felt "in debt". A feeling of obligation might have been the extent of it. It was implied that Mr Blorna was attracted to Katharina but never would have stepped over the line of propriety where she was concerned.

Short of self-defense, I guess we are not supposed to think violence is a good response, but in a work of fiction it can certain feel good!

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”