The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #27 - Final Thoughts

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #27 - Final Thoughts

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:12 am

fireflydances wrote:
Buster wrote:Wait, wait! I''m not done yet!

We are still here. We have merely left our chairs for a moment, in search of nibbles or to attend to some urgent or merely irritating task.

Do you mean an irritating task like work? :bigwink:

I actually like work these days. BUT it gets in the way of ONBC sometimes. And it's been extremely busy lately. :banghead:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:33 am

nebraska wrote:
Buster wrote:Okay...
Do you think Katharina is in debt to Blorna?
Or, perhaps, vice versa?
Is violence ever an appropriate response?

Short of self-defense, I guess we are not supposed to think violence is a good response, but in a work of fiction it can certain feel good!

I agree with Nebraska. Self defense is a valid reason for violence. But I'm sold that there was definite risk of that. And I finally went back tonight to re-read that section of the story. I was going to do that in a previous question.

Here's what I thought the first time I read it and just now when I read it.....

I don't feel like she really thought her life was threatened. I felt she thought he was a p&^%k - which he was. So she was going to show him who was in charge. Keep in mind that she pulled out the gun and put it in her purse before he got there. I've gotta ask: Would you think that someone from the press coming by to interview you would require the need for a gun? She didn't know he was going to come on to her. And the way that Boll wrote about the sequence of events didn't make me feel like he was actually going to rape her.

BUT, as Nebraska points out......sometimes fiction can be satisfying. :bigwink:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:38 am

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:Amazing that such a small book could occupy us so completely! So much relevance to our lives. When the tidbits start I am never quite sure that we have an audience -- so quiet at the beginnings--but once the questions start and the ideas being to fly, it's so lovely, so much like sitting in large circle and each one of us jumping up excitedly or calling out "me too, me too!"

This is a very good way to know a book and become flooded by so many things that impinge on the book -- recipes, poetry and song, the landscape of cities.

Looking forward already to the next one. :biggrin:

Any hints what that book will be?

Keep a sharp eye on St. Patty's Day. ;)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:57 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
Buster wrote:Okay...
Do you think Katharina is in debt to Blorna?
Or, perhaps, vice versa?
Is violence ever an appropriate response?

Short of self-defense, I guess we are not supposed to think violence is a good response, but in a work of fiction it can certain feel good!

I agree with Nebraska. Self defense is a valid reason for violence. But I'm sold that there was definite risk of that. And I finally went back tonight to re-read that section of the story. I was going to do that in a previous question.

Here's what I thought the first time I read it and just now when I read it.....

I don't feel like she really thought her life was threatened. I felt she thought he was a p&^%k - which he was. So she was going to show him who was in charge. Keep in mind that she pulled out the gun and put it in her purse before he got there. I've gotta ask: Would you think that someone from the press coming by to interview you would require the need for a gun? She didn't know he was going to come on to her. And the way that Boll wrote about the sequence of events didn't make me feel like he was actually going to rape her.

BUT, as Nebraska points out......sometimes fiction can be satisfying. :bigwink:

Oh, I think she definitely planned to kill him from the moment she agreed to the "interview". She lured him there to kill him.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:01 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote:Looking forward already to the next one. :biggrin:

Any hints what that book will be?

Keep a sharp eye on St. Patty's Day. ;)

:giddy:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Nebraska -- I massacred your question! You asked: Did I miss it?

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery!” said Joyce. We will be unveiling the tale soon enough. :gangster:

This is probably some mystical case of foreshadowing. Hints spilling out onto the screen. Shhhhhhhhh!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 pm

:sherlockholmes: :giddy:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 am

fireflydances wrote:Nebraska -- I massacred your question! You asked: Did I miss it?

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery!” said Joyce. We will be unveiling the tale soon enough. :gangster:

This is probably some mystical case of foreshadowing. Hints spilling out onto the screen. Shhhhhhhhh!

Ooooo, that sounds intriguing! :omg:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, sorry to say, but I C.R.A.F.T. (Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins). And before I go any further, let me just assure you that we WILL NOT be reading Finnegan’s Wake any time soon. :grin:

But I apologize. We are still in discussion on what book we will be discussing next. And I had forgotten (because I CRAFT) that I had spilled the beans that we were going to announce on St. Patrick’s Day. So sorry! :blush:

I promise that we will announce our next selection within the week. Thanks for your patience.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Liz wrote:Well, sorry to say, but I C.R.A.F.T. (Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins). And before I go any further, let me just assure you that we WILL NOT be reading Finnegan’s Wake any time soon. :grin:

But I apologize. We are still in discussion on what book we will be discussing next. And I had forgotten (because I CRAFT) that I had spilled the beans that we were going to announce on St. Patrick’s Day. So sorry! :blush:

I promise that we will announce our next selection within the week. Thanks for your patience.

No problem at all, Liz. No pressure. :hug:

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”