The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #26 American vs. Intl Fiction

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #26 American vs. Intl Fiction

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 pm

By and large we are still parochial in our contemporary book choices. Even now we are fairly ignorant of books written in countries other than the US unless they are brought to our feet by a publisher intent on sales. Did this book strike you as especially German or a book that should be able to find an audience anywhere? Is there such a thing as an American book?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #26 American vs. Intl Fiction

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 pm

I think the story is very international and very modern in scope, so still relevant in today's market. It's just a little difficult to find.

As for foreign books, I think places like Amazon and other Internet book sites have made it much easier to find these books with good translations now. The trouble is that some are out of print or not in epub format. But, with the Internet, someone is always selling something that someone else wants. :zoner:

But, if anything, I think these books will be more popular in today's market because the world isn't quite as "big" as it used to be. The Internet has connected all of us to people and cultures different from our own...this, in turn, has created a "need to know more" about the world. Not just what the news media or local governments have been feeding us. :noodlemantra:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:21 am

SnoopyDances wrote:The Internet has connected all of us to people and cultures different from our own...this, in turn, has created a "need to know more" about the world. Not just what the news media or local governments have been feeding us. :noodlemantra:

What an apropos remark!

To me, this book had a very broad appeal. Even if you did not understand some of the references or have the background of the tidbits, it is still an interesting story, and one that could happen today or in other countries. I don't think I would have seen it as a German book if I did not already know that it was. You can tell that it took place in the 60s or 70s, but I don't think that is a deterrent. There are many of us who enjoy reading about past times (ones we lived in and ones we didn't) - historical fiction, as it were.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:09 pm

The book didn't seem especially German except that the references to different groups, newspapers, etc and some of the police methods were "foreign" to me. The story could have probably been anywhere.
The two movies that were made are kind of an example of that - one was obviously German (language, costumes, etc) and the other was very American (can't get much more American than Marlo Thomas) but both stayed true to the book.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”