The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #25 Book Choices

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #25 Book Choices

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm

"Why do you think The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum would have been of interest to Johnny?"
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #25 Book Choices

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:59 pm

The obvious reason would be Johnny's own trouble with the paparazzi and tabloids, but I think it is more than that. He seems to be interested in a wide variety of cultural things, various writing styles, and books that make a person think. And there are numerous characters in this story that would be a good study for understanding people/relationships in general, which might be useful when he is creating a new movie character.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm

nebraska wrote:The obvious reason would be Johnny's own trouble with the paparazzi and tabloids, but I think it is more than that. He seems to be interested in a wide variety of cultural things, various writing styles, and books that make a person think. And there are numerous characters in this story that would be a good study for understanding people/relationships in general, which might be useful when he is creating a new movie character.

:highfive:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:29 am

nebraska wrote:The obvious reason would be Johnny's own trouble with the paparazzi and tabloids, but I think it is more than that. He seems to be interested in a wide variety of cultural things, various writing styles, and books that make a person think.

True.

I imagine that there are other books out there on this subject. But they are not as obscure. This is an older book, and a book from another country. I think that might have more appeal to Johnny than an American book written about today's issues with the media. It might even be that it appeals to him because he/we can see that these issues are nothing new.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”