The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Do you think Boll ever doubted his own perception of history? It’s easy enough to see the limits in others’ perceptions while assigning clarity to one’s own vision.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28148
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:51 pm

It makes me a little crazy to see a question sit there with absolutely zero response. So I guess I will say I don't quite understand the question. I saw nothing in anything I read or saw in tidbits or in the books to think that Boll would have had any doubts about his opinion and the things he wrote in this book. He lived it! Did I miss something?

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

I wasn't sure I understood it, either.

Are you asking what would he think now? After some time has gone by, would he still feel the same way as he did when he wrote the book?

If so, I think he would still feel the same way. Certainly with the Internet invasion, I think he would be even more hateful of the media and the scrutiny ordinary people face these days.

In my opinion, that book could have been written yesterday, not some 40 years ago. I think it's messages/consequences are more evident today. Perhaps he was a little ahead of his time.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3165
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:40 am

nebraska wrote:It makes me a little crazy to see a question sit there with absolutely zero response. So I guess I will say I don't quite understand the question. I saw nothing in anything I read or saw in tidbits or in the books to think that Boll would have had any doubts about his opinion and the things he wrote in this book. He lived it! Did I miss something?


The question is intended to examine Boll's convictions, which obviously led him to write a highly political book -- a statement against government abuse of its citizens, of the incestuous relationship between government and media, and a media that had no problem riding rough shod over individuals lives if doing so fed the story and was on the correct side of the political landscape. Boll, like any man, was a product of his time and his experiences, which happened to include a front seat on the wholesale terrorism of the Nazi government. Other men, including Axel Springer, who also lived through the Nazi reign of terror arrived at very different perceptions.

At the time he was writing this book West Germany was in turmoil, attempting to respond to the early actions of the Red Army Faction. There were many like Boll who strenuously fought the notion that the tactics the government was using had any legitimacy. After the book came out events with RAF continued to unfold and resulted in a stunning series of terrorist actions.

So can you imagine Boll looking back and re-examining the perspectives that led him to write this book? Sorry, I didn't realize the question wasn't clear. One always attempts clarity and sometimes it doesn't happen.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 am

fireflydances wrote: Sorry, I didn't realize the question wasn't clear. One always attempts clarity and sometimes it doesn't happen.

I am as equally responsible, as I was in agreement with the question. And tonight I couldn't remember where we were going with it? :dunce:

Thank you, Noodlemantras, for asking. PLEASE feel free to do that anytime.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
SnoopyDances
Posts: 48116
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Location: Tashmore Lake

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 am

Liz wrote:
fireflydances wrote: Sorry, I didn't realize the question wasn't clear. One always attempts clarity and sometimes it doesn't happen.

I am as equally responsible, as I was in agreement with the question. And tonight I couldn't remember where we were going with it? :dunce:

Thank you, Noodlemantras, for asking. PLEASE feel free to do that anytime.

Half the time I walk into a room, I can't remember why... :lol:

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28148
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #24: To doubt one's own perception

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
Liz wrote:
fireflydances wrote: Sorry, I didn't realize the question wasn't clear. One always attempts clarity and sometimes it doesn't happen.

I am as equally responsible, as I was in agreement with the question. And tonight I couldn't remember where we were going with it? :dunce:

Thank you, Noodlemantras, for asking. PLEASE feel free to do that anytime.

Half the time I walk into a room, I can't remember why... :lol:

:highfive: :biglaugh:


Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests