The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #19 - "I'll break you in half"

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #19 - "I'll break you in half"

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Compare the tactics of the press today and our response to them as illustrated in this video to the press tactics illustrated in The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum and Katharina’s response to them.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #19 - "I'll break you in half"

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 am

It would be great if the press just focused on reporting the news, instead of trying to "create" the news.

This is typical of TV media today...ask someone to comment on one issue, then when they have them on camera, change the subject to force a response on a different issue.

There is way too much "ambush" reporting these days. I think it makes the press look bad and "untrustable".

There is a local TV reporter here whose sole purpose is to storm into someone's office with a camera and mic and start asking them a barrage of questions on gov't spending or something. He provokes really angry responses, which I guess makes for higher ratings. They love to show this reporter getting shoved by security or having someone put their hand over the camera lens.

Others use the hidden camera approach to catch contractors or plumbers or someone "ripping off" the public. If the police did that, it would be entrapment. But the media can and will do anything for ratings...their competing with so many other stations now doing the same type of thing.

And how many times have politicians been caught joking when they thought they were off camera or the mic was off?

There used to be a standard when comments/exchanges were off the record. Nowadays, nothing is off the record.

In Boll's book, there was less technology, but the ambushing technique was clearly used. The reporters were more intrusive than the police at times. That is still the case today....the news media wants to solve every crime themselves instead of letting the police do their jobs. And often, they over expose the evidence and jeopardize a fair trial for the suspect. We saw that with the OJ Simpson trial, the West Memphis Three, and countless more...the court of public opinion, influenced by sensationalized media reports and relentless Internet campaigns have damaged the lives of so many people. And the facts just get lost in a rush to judgement.

I think Boll was trying to warn people and teach them a lesson about talking to the media. I don't think many listened.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #19 - "I'll break you in half"

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 am

Thanks for responding to this, Snoopy.

I had forgotten that this question was unanswered.

I was surprised by both parties in this video. I was surprised at the the nerve of the Michael Scotto (press) for making a statement the way he did that Congressman Michael Grimm would not talk to them about a subject that wasn't even the subject of the interview, but also at the intensity of the Grimm. Grimm really scared me, and I thought of Katharina.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”