The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #13 - Andalusians and Sheikhs

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #13 - Andalusians and Sheikhs

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:51 pm

From pg. 52:

“And no doubt you also realize, Mr. Korten, that during Carnival time sheikh costumes are the ideal disguise, since nowadays, for obvious reasons, sheikhs are more popular than cowboys…….we had a dozen policemen disguised as sheikhs, cowboys, and Spaniards on his tail….” – Commissioner Beizmenne.

Why do you think these particular costumes so popular in this time and place at Carnival?

Does anyone remember if they were popular in other parts of the world during that time period – in New Orleans or for Halloween?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #13 - Andalusians and Sheikhs

Unread postby stroch » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:50 am

I can't wait to see what others say about the sheiks-- that was on part of the book I was so curious about, as they pop up everywhere.

As for your question, I remember seeing female flamenco dancer costumes a long time ago, and there are photos of same from the 40's and 50's, but not lately. Belly dancers have taken over. Sheiks were common during the oil crisis, and still show up regularly, as it is an easy costume to make. There are more satirical costumes now, which is challenging -- you have to be funny, witty, and creative, as well as visually interesting. Much easier to be Alice in Wonderland and friends.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:35 pm

All those sheik costumes running around had me very confused. It seemed like an odd choice, but I suppose they are exotic (fun?) figures and would disguise a man rather completely -- build, coloring, etc would all be hidden -- not to mention, it would be easy to hide equipment like cameras and guns beneath the folds of the robe.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm

My only thought on this is that the two costumes are something familiar to most people -- they've seen other examples of them--and both represent something 'exotic.' I have never gone to a Mardi Gras event anywhere so I can't help with regard to how common this choice of costume might be outside of Europe. :dunce:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I think the reason I found it odd is that it would be politically incorrect today. But the popularity of costumes goes in waves or is based on the times.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Liz wrote:I think the reason I found it odd is that it would be politically incorrect today. But the popularity of costumes goes in waves or is based on the times.

Why would it be considered politically incorrect? :dunce:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 am

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:I think the reason I found it odd is that it would be politically incorrect today. But the popularity of costumes goes in waves or is based on the times.

Why would it be considered politically incorrect? :dunce:

Well, I'm not sure, but it could be considered as such.....Muslim discrimination.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”