The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #8 Katharina's Plight

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum: Question #8 Katharina's Plight

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:40 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote: I don't think the responsibility came from "making love", it came from picking a strange man up at a party and taking him home with her, and she chose to get involved on a higher level by helping him escape and hiding him.

Exactly. She has to take some responsibility for that. And then she lied about it.

Don't misunderstand me. For some unknown reason she chose to fall head over heals for this guy. I believe in passion. In fact, I thought it was longer than 24 hours that she knew him. But I may have just assumed because of her strong reaction to his arrest and her passion for him. And if I had been in love I might have done the same (helped him escape). Let's also recognize that the crime he said he committed was not as serious as the one he really did. So, she was uninformed of the facts. BUT all of this doesn't mean she's blameless.

The Ludwig character in both movies was extremely attractive and sensual. It made it easier to understand how she could have been carried away. The book was difficult to follow, for me at times. I agree that it was hard to tell she met him for the first time that night and less than 24 hours had elapsed. . But I think I can't say more without treading into future question territory.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”