The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #4 - Facebook

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #4 - Facebook

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:12 am

From Tidbit #15:

Last year (2011), the Independent Centre for Privacy Protection (ULD) in Schleswig-Holstein (a state on the Northern tip of Germany) made it illegal for organizations based in the state to have Facebook fan pages and to use the ‘Like’ application. The ULD website states that by using the application, traffic and content data are transferred to the United States where feedback is sent to the website owner regarding the web page usage. Therefore, according to the ULD, when you visit Facebook or use one of its plug-ins you can expect to be tracked by the company for two years. Last summer, privacy officials in Hamburg also claimed Facebook could be fined for keeping biometric data stored via the facial recognition system hosted on its site.

Do you use Facebook? Why or Why not? Do you have any of these concerns about it? Do you have any other concerns about it? Is it a positive or negative thing?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shaman-art

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #4 - Facebook

Unread postby shaman-art » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:31 am

I use it, but I'm really careful what I post. I activated all available security options. For example I can not be tagged on photos without my permission, my timeline is only visible for my friends and even the friends are almost only people I know in real life. So Facebook for me is only an extention of my real life into the digital world.

I'm also very careful about what I "Like". I don't "Like" companies or products because I don't want to be linked to them. "Liking" companies and products is just a cheap way of advertising. If they want me to do that they need to give me a good reason - and they have to pay me, but I don't give them my data for free without telling me what they are going to do with it.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

I love Facebook! But I am not an extreme user. My profile is not completely filled out and I am registered with an active email address that I hardly ever use. I don't use any of the apps or games, which require access to your information and your friends information. My friends list is made up almost exclusively of people I know in person or from other places on the web -- some of my Zone friends are on my Facebook list, for instance. I have people on my list who were in my life at various times for activities I was involved in and I enjoy still having a bit of contact with them. Facebook allows a picture or two and a brief blurb to keep in touch when none of us would likely send individual emails or snail mail.

I especially love Facebook because it allows me to keep up with family and see photos. I was a surprise baby when my parents were in their early 40s, so I am closer to the age of my nieces and nephews. Since my parents, brother, and one sister are deceased and my remaining sibling is in an assisted living facility, we haven't had a family reunion for several years. Facebook lets me see the great-niece and great-nephew who live in Japan, as well as many other members of that next generation who would be lost to me otherwise.

Like everything else on the internet, you need to be careful. There is danger no matter where you go on line, even here at the Zone.

marija

Unread postby marija » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Hello ...I don't use facebook. I'm too scared about it, because I'm not familiar with the internet AND the PC. :bawl:
I don't know exactly how it works and I'm fear that privat posts and data or something else comes into the public . No, no...I'm using the laptop only about one and a half year and I guess I have to learn more about the habits in the internet :zoner: (if I've faith enough in myself to do it. :yes:)
Here in the Zone I feel pretty comfortable and I have faith into the nice members... by the way...thanks for your kindness. :smiliewithhearts:
Marija
...it's not easy, to be different..."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 pm

I use it under an alias. A few years ago Facebook was a great place to meet other writers and to post one's work and get reasonably good feedback. I was a member of several groups. But Facebook made a number of changes in how groups worked, and most of us moved on to other sites. The changes Facebook introduced offended me because it took what I had made and tried to force it to be something else. If you think about it that's quite a violation, you know? Artistic freedom and all that. Goes to show we are not free, ever, in electronic space.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:52 pm

I think FB is creepy, but I used it under an alias also. I joined so I could see photos and videos on pages that only members can access. It's the same with Twitter, -- but I use a different alias!
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm

stroch wrote:I think FB is creepy, but I used it under an alias also. I joined so I could see photos and videos on pages that only members can access. It's the same with Twitter, -- but I use a different alias!

I am curious about this. Do you have your family and real life friends on your friends list? Or do you just look at other people's public pages without them knowing who you are? I don't know what kind of photos and videos you would want to look at under an alias since most everything is available somewhere else, like on you tube, and so many people have their Facebook accounts set to private.

One of my real life friends was adopted as a small child and he uses his birth name so that his adopted family won't be able to identify him -- which is sort of silly since his wife is on Facebook using her real name so I would think they would be able to figure out who he is if they really wanted to.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 am

nebraska wrote:
stroch wrote:I think FB is creepy, but I used it under an alias also. I joined so I could see photos and videos on pages that only members can access. It's the same with Twitter, -- but I use a different alias!

I am curious about this. Do you have your family and real life friends on your friends list? Or do you just look at other people's public pages without them knowing who you are? I don't know what kind of photos and videos you would want to look at under an alias since most everything is available somewhere else, like on you tube, and so many people have their Facebook accounts set to private.

One of my real life friends was adopted as a small child and he uses his birth name so that his adopted family won't be able to identify him -- which is sort of silly since his wife is on Facebook using her real name so I would think they would be able to figure out who he is if they really wanted to.

Yeah, that's pretty silly. Does he think they wouldn't try to find him under that name?

I'm curious about what Stroch said also. I have tried to find many people on FB but have been thwarted by their privacy settings.

As far as my usage? I resisted for a long time. I finally did it and then got hacked. I ended up going back, but rarely looked at it or participated. Then it became important for work. And because of that, I'm on my page more because I have to like all of my work posts. So then I see more posts from my friends. And that gets me more into it.

It is not my preferred way of communicating. But what I have found is that some of my old friends prefer to communicate that way and are always posting. So if I want to communicate with them I have to do it that way (via posts) or I message them privately on FB. They just aren't into email.

For the most part, I think it is fun and lighthearted. But there are times that it can be annoying. Some people over use it and have to share where they are every minute of the day. That's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. I also think that saying where you are on a map on FB is asking to get burglarized.

I also think it can be hurtful. You find so and so is in town and didn't even tell you. Or an ex-boyfriend (who's still a FB friend) raves about what a great time he had with the new girl friend, and how she's the love of his life.

Depending on how people use it, it can just be too much information.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 am

nebraska and Liz This is embarrassing.
I've never looked at pages of anyone in my real life, or anyone in a virtual life, such as fellow Zoners. I get my news of them face to face or word of mouth/keystroke.
By having a FB page, I was able to participate in these very important activities, only available to members: a multiple choice contest to predict the end of Breaking Bad; creating a screen saver combining the periodic table and a person's name, a la the opening credits of BB; posting on some company's page to reach a certain goal which would release a weather balloon to celebrate Rafael Nadal's return to competition; and track the balloon in real time until it landed; viewing private videos/photos of Rafa practicing at various tournaments, looking at a live webcam of a nightclub in Ibiza; friending Bill Carter; liking someone who posts massive numbers of Johnny pics, etc. :blush:

If I were to use my real name, actual people, like my students, ex-boyfriends, former classmates, neighbors, co-workers, family, and friends would see all of this and dare I say it, think I am a mindless fool or have a dual personality. Which is perhaps accurate.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.

St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:23 am

stroch wrote:nebraska and Liz This is embarrassing.
I've never looked at pages of anyone in my real life, or anyone in a virtual life, such as fellow Zoners. I get my news of them face to face or word of mouth/keystroke.
By having a FB page, I was able to participate in these very important activities, only available to members: a multiple choice contest to predict the end of Breaking Bad; creating a screen saver combining the periodic table and a person's name, a la the opening credits of BB; posting on some company's page to reach a certain goal which would release a weather balloon to celebrate Rafael Nadal's return to competition; and track the balloon in real time until it landed; viewing private videos/photos of Rafa practicing at various tournaments, looking at a live webcam of a nightclub in Ibiza; friending Bill Carter; liking someone who posts massive numbers of Johnny pics, etc. :blush:

If I were to use my real name, actual people, like my students, ex-boyfriends, former classmates, neighbors, co-workers, family, and friends would see all of this and dare I say it, think I am a mindless fool or have a dual personality. Which is perhaps accurate.

Ok, that makes sense. I know my SIL who is a teacher's aide was instructed that she could not "friend" any of her students. You would have to be very careful with your privacy settings if you were to actually use Facebook. But apart from that it is sad that you feel the need to hide those interests/activities. They sound interesting and fun.

And yes I did picture you as a sneaky lurker spying on ordinary people under an assumed name. :freaked:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:47 pm

I use Facebook, but not in a typically "social" way. Instead, I find it is a great way to keep up with my friends who are in the process of building boats, and with maritime news in general. The blacksmiths and bladesmiths I know often post "works in progress" photos, as do some of the other craftspeople I know.

My privacy settings are stringent, and the posts I see are from people I know.
That said, I also follow a few people who are of interest to me - Ralph Steadman, Arlo Guthrie, Gary Farmer, Sherman Alexie....as well as several museums and obscure tuba players.

I don't worry about my privacy being invaded; I have a good firewall and decent antivirus program, and am ruthless about blocking anything I don't really want to see.

Oh, and I absolutely refuse to get drawn into a political discussion, even with family. ;-)

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm

I resisted Facebook for years but finally gave in a little over a year ago. The only reason I joined was because I was tired of people expecting me to know things because it was posted on FB. This one moved, or that one had their baby, or someone was sick, or you know, pick your tidbit of neighborhood news. Too many conversations went like this: “Oh, I thought you knew.” “No, how did you hear about it?” “They posted it on Facebook. Oh, that’s right, you’re not on Facebook.” :rolleyes: So, I finally gave in and joined because it seems that’s just how everyone was/is communicating. I don’t post very much but at least now I know what’s going on again! It is great for keeping up with the nieces and nephews and their kids. And I’ll also admit that I’ve gotten back in touch with a few old high school, college and work friends, and that’s really nice. I keep the privacy settings tight, my profile is blank other than my name, and I very rarely “like” commercial things. I don't play the games or allow FB plug-ins. And no politics online for me either.

As for concerns, yeah, mostly my kids. The rule in house is no FB until you’re 14. Instagram’s the same. I worry about cyberbullying. There’s a lot of ugliness out there. A lot of girls posting pics that geeze, they really shouldn’t. :-/ A lot of kids posting stuff that they’ll probably regret someday. So my daughter has a little over a year to go. But FB really seems to be losing favor among the kids, maybe because now all the parents are online. It’s more twitter and snapchat now. Instagram’s still popular too. Maybe by the time she turns 14 she won’t even want to be on FB.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:22 pm

I have unfriended people who post a lot of political stuff on Facebook. :grr: I really don't want to read all that nonsense, and most of it is simply nonsense.

I wonder how kids will view things in the years ahead. They are growing up with Facebook and instant sharing of photos and statuses. They will probably have a completely different view of things than we do as older people who find it all new and scary.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 pm

stroch wrote:nebraska and Liz This is embarrassing.

I figured there was some reasonable explanation.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:34 pm

nebraska wrote:I have unfriended people who post a lot of political stuff on Facebook. :grr: I really don't want to read all that nonsense, and most of it is simply nonsense.

I wonder how kids will view things in the years ahead. They are growing up with Facebook and instant sharing of photos and statuses. They will probably have a completely different view of things than we do as older people who find it all new and scary.

And I got unfriended because I responded to a political remark that offended me. :yikes: I tend to stay out of these conversations (although they really bug me), but this one just pushed my buttons.

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”