The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #4 - Facebook

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #4 - Facebook

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:I have unfriended people who post a lot of political stuff on Facebook. :grr: I really don't want to read all that nonsense, and most of it is simply nonsense.

I wonder how kids will view things in the years ahead. They are growing up with Facebook and instant sharing of photos and statuses. They will probably have a completely different view of things than we do as older people who find it all new and scary.

And I got unfriended because I responded to a political remark that offended me. :yikes: I tend to stay out of these conversations (although they really bug me), but this one just pushed my buttons.

I had a similar experience early on. Someone chose to use my page to post his political perspectives. Our friendship was about completely different things and I was surprised to learn how he felt about certain issues. I don't think I would have minded if he shared his philosophy on his own page but I didn't quite understand coming to my page and spouting off. This occurred probably three or four years ago, and it was the start of the end for me.

nebraska wrote:I know my SIL who is a teacher's aide was instructed that she could not "friend" any of her students.
My experience also. We were formally warned that anything on our Facebook page was fair game, never mind the act of friending someone. It got my attention right quick. I deeply resent the implication that my thoughts are the property of my employer. Frankly, it hardens the wall between arenas of one's life when employers or potential employers attempt to spread their influence.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”