The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #3 - Google Maps

by Heinrich Böll

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Question #3 - Google Maps

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Buster wrote:Do you think the discomfort might be at least partially due to the magnitude of the invasion? Anyone can see your house. But how different, really, is that from living in a village? All of your neighbors know not only what your house looks like from the outside, but also when you're home, whose car is parked outside, what you hang on your clothesline...

Make no mistake about it, we are all living very public lives. I work in a place that has full coverage security cameras which are being monitored not only in the building, but also at corporate headquarters two states away.

The village police station has "security cameras" aimed at the idyllic bandstand on the green in the center of town. It's all whitewashed under the banner of "public safety", of course.

The more we move to paperless transactions, the more distinct trails we leave, though tracing people is far from new. (Guess we can thank J. Edgar and the Pinkertons for that :dillingerhello: )

As far as vanishing in the US goes, it is surprisingly difficult. Money is a real problem - you need a social security number to get a "real job", some sort of ID for any housing situation, and credit cards for many transactions. If you don't mind being broke and homeless, then I guess it is possible...

There are cameras on the main street of my little town as well, under the banner of "in case there is a jail break". :rolleyes: It makes me very uncomfortable just on general principle. I don't mind so much when I go into a store, that is private property and there signs telling you that a camera is in use, so you have a clear choice about shopping there or not. But on a public street it seems a bit like Big Brother to me. Especially in small town American where I envision the fat local cop sitting there sipping coffee snooping on people and laughing at them.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm rather shocked to find out that there are such cameras in small town America.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 am

I know this isn't exactly Google Maps but there are plans to "improve" home televisions for two way communication. The TV would be able to look out and see those watching the show -- maybe learn something about what we might need, what we like to wear. I heard two reporters merrily chatting about how wonderful this would be and I was completely horrified. Like wouldn't we all love being watched?

Now I figured I should try to find proof that such a TV is under development. I link here an article from ABC News that describes much more than TVs watching us. My local cable distributor is always running these ads about Infinity and how I could watch the inside of my home anywhere, turn lights on and off, adjust things, start dinner, discipline my children...

Frankly I want to deplug just about now. How about you? :-O
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:25 am

fireflydances wrote:I know this isn't exactly Google Maps but there are plans to "improve" home televisions for two way communication. The TV would be able to look out and see those watching the show -- maybe learn something about what we might need, what we like to wear. I heard two reporters merrily chatting about how wonderful this would be and I was completely horrified. Like wouldn't we all love being watched?

Now I figured I should try to find proof that such a TV is under development. I link here an article from ABC News that describes much more than TVs watching us. My local cable distributor is always running these ads about Infinity and how I could watch the inside of my home anywhere, turn lights on and off, adjust things, start dinner, discipline my children...

Frankly I want to deplug just about now. How about you? :-O

Yup! Scary, isnt' it? Walk through that list of 9 items and you might be ready to remove yourself from the grid entirely. It's an unending battle between those that hack and those that secure, and like an arms race, it really can't be won. Maybe that's why I hate anyone having any of my data, for any reason. I've already been fighting this battle for over a decade with my job, and with the proliferation of internet-connected devices, well, the perceived threat is everywhere.

As for two-way television, we have the technology already, it just hasn't been used much yet. An example: X-Box and Sesame Street have already gone "interactive". Sort of. It's not yet two-way interaction over live tv, but we're just about there. You can, for example, video conference using smart tvs.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:41 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:As for two-way television, we have the technology already, it just hasn't been used much yet. An example: X-Box and Sesame Street have already gone "interactive". Sort of. It's not yet two-way interaction over live tv, but we're just about there. You can, for example, video conference using smart tvs.

Wow! That's a little freaky. :freaked:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:19 am

Many years ago, a mentally disturbed person was convinced that a local TV station was spying on him through his television set. He called, complained, wrote letters, and even made threats. One day, he drove his car to the station and rammed all of the marked cars (no personal cars were hit) and then drove through the lobby doors. He got out of the car and started running through the building. He allegedly had a gun. Workers, reporters, etc., were all huddled in a back room until the police arrived. I don't believe anyone was actually hurt, but they were still talking about the incident years later when I worked there.

When I worked in the electronics department of a store (30 years ago), there was a mentally disturbed person that would lurk around the department, staring at all of the TVs, radios, Betamaxes, etc. He was convinced that his TV was spying on him and that his toaster was reporting his every move to the government. He was never violent, but always warning us that we shouldn't trust our electronics. He wrote long, disturbing letters to the store about how we should stop selling such devices.

Now I think of the various web cams and nanny cams that we hide in our own homes to spy on anyone inside. How all of our personal information is available to anyone that wants it on the Internet. How taking pictures with your cell phone and posting them on FB could identify you by the various electronic codes recorded on the pics. How we can "track" our children by devices on their cell phones. How our cars have recording devices that can tell police if we were speeding at the time of the accident. And we even microchip our pets, could microchips for humans be far behind?

I used to feel sorry for those first two people and was saddened by their plight of mental illness. But now I wonder if they were really time travelers from the future, trying to warn us. :perplexed:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 pm

SnoopyDances wrote: How taking pictures with your cell phone and posting them on FB could identify you by the various electronic codes recorded on the pics.

WOW! Wow to everything you've said. BUT I never knew that cell phone photos could be tracked to your device. THAT IS FREAKIN SCARY. :yikes:

There is many a device predicted by sci fi books and films that, in fact, exists today. I keep waiting for Scotty to beam me up. Not sure that will ever happen. :sad: But I didn't think a lot of things would happen, and they did. So, what do I know?

That said, I imagine that these two fellows were way ahead of reality in their heads, and they were probably very troubled.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:20 am

Liz wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote: How taking pictures with your cell phone and posting them on FB could identify you by the various electronic codes recorded on the pics.

WOW! Wow to everything you've said. BUT I never knew that cell phone photos could be tracked to your device. THAT IS FREAKIN SCARY. :yikes:

There is many a device predicted by sci fi books and films that, in fact, exists today. I keep waiting for Scotty to beam me up. Not sure that will ever happen. :sad: But I didn't think a lot of things would happen, and they did. So, what do I know?

That said, I imagine that these two fellows were way ahead of reality in their heads, and they were probably very troubled.

From Snopes.com....it's true, but has gotten better.

Yes, those guys were very troubled. :sad:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:58 am

If you watch the featurette about Transcendence
Spoiler! :
they say the reality of the movie is maybe only thirty years away

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 am

My kids' problem. Not mine. :biggrin:

Return to “The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum”