Just Kids Question #23 - A Calling?

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #23 - A Calling?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Pg. 11:

I had no proof that I had the stuff to be an artist, though I hungered to be one. I imagined that I felt the calling and prayed that it be so. But one night, while watching The Song of Bernadette with Jennifer Jones, I was struck that the young saint did not ask to be called. It was the mother superior who desired sanctity, even as Bernadette, a humble peasant girl, became the chosen one. This worried me. I wondered if I had been really called as an artist. I didn’t mind the misery of a vocation but I dreaded not being called.

Was she called?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RamblinRebel

Re: Just Kids Question #23 - A Calling?

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:00 am

Been thinking about this one. I kind of view "being called" as being called internally, rather than externally. It's listening to that "inner voice", or maybe your heart, telling you what to do. Or maybe it's God speaking to you through your inner voice, I'm not sure. Patti wasn't called in the same manner as Bernadette, but yeah, I do think she was called to art.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Just Kids Question #23 - A Calling?

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 am

I like the way you put that, RR.

I was thinking that it's like the gift one was given.....we usually know what that is (or what it isn't, LOL). When there's something obvious that you should be doing - either you show it in what you create or accomplish OR what you are drawn to OR you fall into it, and it fits perfectly. But I think that the inner voice you are speaking of is an integral part of the process.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Just Kids”