Just Kids Question #22 - Photography as art?

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #22 - Photography as art?

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:26 pm

To continue the art discussion even further.....

What do you think about photography as an art form?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Just Kids Question #22 - Photography as art?

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:39 am

I think it can be very interesting. I like photographs but not all photography is what I would consider art. Sometimes I think people try too hard to make a photograph art which to me doesn't work.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 pm

I think it photography can be an incredibly beautiful medium. Of course the majority of pictures taken are just documentation - ‘we were here’, ‘we were there’, ‘this is you at 4 yrs’ type of thing. But in the right hands, it can be quite exquisite. I think for a long time many people dismissed photography as ‘not real art’. But truly, the mediums have evolved over time, and they will continue to do so. Just as Robert was breaking ground in art photography in the 70s, others are now breaking ground using computer-generated and computer-enhanced images. Just look at our banner! I wouldn’t be surprised if we see computer-generated art in the Art Institute in a decade or two. Maybe even sooner.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 pm

I didn't used to think of it as an art form. I can't say when I changed my mind about this, but it probably began in the mid-80s. I think it finally hit me with the advent of the internet and thus more exposure to photography as art. But also digital photography has opened up an entire world to me, as an artist. I have been able to experiment, myself. And I have since spent little time on painting and much time on photography and the manipulation of it.

I wish I had been aware of Robert Mapplethorpe when he was alive, and I wish I had seen his infamous show. But I am glad that the Internet as allowed me to now see his works. His flowers are just incredibly amazing. And I never have been a big fan of still life flowers (in painting).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Just Kids”