Just Kids Question #20: Patti's Art

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #20: Patti's Art

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 am

Patti Smith is a musician. She began as a visual artist, added words to her mix, and then she realized she wanted more than words on paper. Just as Robert's arch of creativity ended up in photography, something he had never anticipated, so Patti's arch moved in unexpected directions.

See our Patti Smith Playlist: Tidbit #32

What do you think of Patti’s art, her music?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Just Kids Question #20: Patti's Art

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Not sure I've seen much of her art to comment, but her music, some I like some I don't. I only ever bought the one record and I never went in search of more of her work. Possibley becasue she got labelled with the Punk label and I never wanted anything to do with that type of music.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Here's some links to Patti's art:

You can also find her artwork in Just Kids (pg. 76 and 254).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

:ok: From what I can see of it then I feel the same way about her visual art as her music, some I like some I don't :lol: But its interesting.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 am

As art is in the eye of the beholder, music is in the ear of the beholder.

When it comes to music, my tastes are pretty eclectic. I like jazz, classical, blues, soul, rap, disco, big band, rock n roll, acid rock, hard rock, heavy metal, folk rock, country rock, punk rock, new wave, alternative, pop, Reggae, African, Bollywood, Australian & other international music. I don’t like everything in these genres. But generally speaking, I do NOT like traditional Country Western music. That’s just me.

And I’m sure you’ve all had the experience where you have bought an album from some artist, and you end up liking just 2 tracks. I think that happened more often before The Internet when we could look up each album and listen to every track.

But my point is that we don’t love every song of our favorite artists. But maybe that’s just me. So, I don’t like all of the songs on the playlist, but most.

I’m just glad that I had a chance to be exposed to them, because I somehow missed them. I liked "Piss Factory" because it still had that jazz vibe going from the early 60s, along with kind of a rap thing going on - nice combo. She was also ahead of her time when she released “Because of the Night” and “Beneath the Southern Cross.” I totally missed them in the barrage of Disco music along with my boyfriend’s stoner music. I was surprised to find out that “Because of the Night” was released in ’78 because I remember hearing it during my New Wave phase in the 80s. So I don’t know if it was re-released or just considered “classic new wave” and thus played on the alternative stations.

I especially like “Glitter in Their Eyes.” But where was I then? Oh yeah, losing touch of music because I was raising kids.

And I really like the sound of "Nine" and the guitar solo.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:22 am

Because the Night was the only record of Patti's I bought and it was in 1978 I think it was the only one of her records that made it here and into the charts at least it was the only one I knew about. :lol:

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 am

Well, I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m a fan of her music and poetry. Of course I like some more than others, and like Liz, most of these I discovered at some point over the last 20/30 years long after they were released. Here’s a few of my favorites:

* People Have the Power – to wrestle the earth from fools. Yes! Isn’t that what democracy is all about?
* Dancing Barefoot – I find this to be a beautiful celebration of the female.
* Redondo Beach – haunting!
* Her rendition of Gloria makes me want to get up and scream
* Rock and Roll Nigger – “Outside of society, they’re waitin’ for me”!
* Nine When I first heard Nine I was just beside myself. I was so moved. How many hundreds of journalists now have tried to describe what it is that makes Johnny so special? In my mind Patti captures it beautifully. “Darkness as his brother, mischief as his moon…” It takes an artist…
* One more: Constantine’s Dream off Banga. It’s an Inception-like dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream tale, involving Patti, St. Francis, the painter Piero della Francesca and Christopher Columbus. It combines art, history, Catholicism, mystery and prophecy with a fiery environmental message. Personally, I find this poem-song mind-blowing. Maybe because I believe so strongly in the environmental cause. Maybe because I was raised Catholic. Maybe because I can’t believe that Patti noticed that Piero della Francesca died on the same day that Christopher Columbus set foot in the New World. Or maybe it’s just lyrically beautiful and musically haunting. At this point it is probably only known to those who bought the album, so if you have the patience, give it a listen and follow along - the lyrics are posted in the description. It’s about 10 minutes long.

To see her perform her art live is a night you’ll never forget. I was lucky enough to see one of her shows in Chicago in May. As an audience we laughed, we danced, we sang, she even had us all howling like dogs with Banga! It was incredible.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:29 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:To see her perform her art live is a night you’ll never forget. I was lucky enough to see one of her shows in Chicago in May. As an audience we laughed, we danced, we sang, she even had us all howling like dogs with Banga! It was incredible.

I can't listen to Constantine's Dream right now because I'm working but I just have to jump in and say that everyone I've talked to who has seen Patti perform live has said pretty much the same thing. Seeing her perform is now on my bucket list. :cool:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:15 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:Well, I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m a fan of her music and poetry. Of course I like some more than others, and like Liz, most of these I discovered at some point over the last 20/30 years long after they were released.

Wonderful collection of songs there RamblinRebel! It was painfully difficult to create a playlist that had a manageable length because I really am addicted to her music, I'll admit it, and I found it so hard to chose. I could listen to Patti everyday. I totally agree with your statement about Dancing Barefoot. If ever there was a song about a woman in love this one is it. Not romance really, more spiritual than that, more womanly. "She is benediction..."

RamblinRebel wrote:To see her perform her art live is a night you’ll never forget. I was lucky enough to see one of her shows in Chicago in May. As an audience we laughed, we danced, we sang, she even had us all howling like dogs with Banga! It was incredible.

Saw her last December in Baltimore. Took both daughters with me. We all had a fabulous time dancing and singing and howling. She has no aura about her that suggests star. This was a small venue where folks stood in front of the stage and we had a spot in the front, right at the edge. At one point Patti just stretched out on the stage inches from us, taking a break, no pretense whatsoever. She works very hard at her craft, putting her whole heart and body into each performance.

I think her music really speaks to women about being a woman today. Very articulate and very passionate.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

LOVED Constantine's Dream, RR. The more I listen to her the more I love her.

But unfortunately, I may have to wait a while till she comes my way. :sad: She was out here a year ago, and my area is not on the schedule at the moment.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 pm

fireflydances wrote:Wonderful collection of songs there RamblinRebel! It was painfully difficult to create a playlist that had a manageable length because I really am addicted to her music, I'll admit it, and I found it so hard to chose. I could listen to Patti everyday.
I really did not envy your task!! It's one thing to rattle off a handful of favorites off the top of your head like I did. It's another thing entirely to chose a limitted selection of pieces in an attempt to adequately represent an artist whose career spans decades and whose sound can be so varied. For what it's worth, I think you did an excellent job!! :cool:
fireflydances wrote: I totally agree with your statement about Dancing Barefoot. If ever there was a song about a woman in love this one is it. Not romance really, more spiritual than that, more womanly. "She is benediction..."
:yes:

fireflydances wrote:Saw her last December in Baltimore. Took both daughters with me. We all had a fabulous time dancing and singing and howling. She has no aura about her that suggests star. This was a small venue where folks stood in front of the stage and we had a spot in the front, right at the edge. At one point Patti just stretched out on the stage inches from us, taking a break, no pretense whatsoever. She works very hard at her craft, putting her whole heart and body into each performance.

So very cool that you went with your daughters!!! And wow, to be so close! The Vic in Chicago is a pretty small place too - it has a nice, intimate feel. Even though we were in the balcony it almost felt as though we were all friends, just hanging out in someone's living room. And yeah, Patti's relaxed, no pretense stage presence has so much to do with that. No celebrity attitude with her, even though she's a legend. Just cool. :chill:

Liz wrote:LOVED Constantine's Dream, RR. The more I listen to her the more I love her.
:cool:

Liz wrote:But unfortunately, I may have to wait a while till she comes my way. :sad: She was out here a year ago, and my area is not on the schedule at the moment.
Don't worry, Liz, the show's worth the wait. :thumbsup:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 am

RamblinRebel wrote:For what it's worth, I think you did an excellent job!! :cool:

Thanks!

Return to “Just Kids”