Just Kids Question #16: Nobody Sees As We Do

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #16: Nobody Sees As We Do

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:17 pm

"Nobody sees as we do, Patti,” he said again. Whenever he said things like that, for a magical space of time, it was (as) if we were the only two people in the world.

Just Kids, pg. 102

What do you think Robert meant when he said this, which he did say from time to time. What was he getting at?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Re: Just Kids Question #16: Nobody Sees As We Do

Unread postby Buster » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

I think this is what actually lies at the heart of the book - that Patti and Robert had a connection, a closeness, that made their love for each other inevitable. It is the reason for the book - to try and explain the basically inexplicable: the magic that happens when two complimentary/congruent minds meet.
They were both on the same mission, to make sense of the world through artistic expression. They "got" each other's artistic vocabulary - the icons, the mysticism, the classical feel - and recognised their own shared rock and roll urges.

Maybe it's something akin to a shared sense of humor - you know when someone can make you laugh without saying anything, because you somehow know they are having exactly the same random thought that you are having? You know if you even so much as catch their eye, you will both fall completely apart, laughing hysterically.

Patti's reaction,
Whenever he said things like that, for a magical space of time, it was (as) if we were the only two people in the world.
was acknowledging that shared universe - a place where she was understood - no longer an "outsider".

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 pm

..the magic that happens when two complimentary/congruent minds meet. Buster

Yeah, I completely agree, but until you said this I don't know that I could have put it into words. Dovetail friendships I guess I'd call them where one soul uplifts and perfectly matches another. Not the same as love although love is still part of the equation.

Thank you Buster for a lovely insight! I think I'll reflect on this one throughout the rest of the day.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 pm

I agree Buster you I think got what I couldn't put into words :ok:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:56 am

Buster, you've nailed it. You may have just answered my big question.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Just Kids”