Just Kids Question #15 - Prose

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #15 - Prose

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 am

How would you describe Patti’s writing of prose compared to her poetry?

What were your favorite passages in Just Kids?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Just Kids Question #15 - Prose

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am

All I can say is she writes very well in a way that captivates and wants you to keep reading. It took me two days to read and that good going for me these dyas as I find it difficult to get into books. I have another autobiography which I started before I read Just Kids and although I was intersted enough to buy and start reading it its just dosen't have the same pull that Just Kids has. I think also its almost not like an autobiography its could be a work of fiction it has that feel to it. Not sure I can explain that properly though.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm ashamed to say it has been so long since I posted that I can't remember how to quote from someone else's reply. I really meant to join in on this one, but real life has a way of throwing disruptions into the best of intentions. I have been reading tidbits and replies to questions when I could though.

I agree with you, GG, about Patti's writing here having the feel of fiction to it. Her prose is so poetic and the things she chose to write about give it that feel. I have a friend Dave who is a mega-fan of Patti. When he heard that I had finally read Just Kids, he said, "She certainly writes to her mythology, doesn't she?"

I think her poetry is really amazing - a spare, lyrical, powerful punch in a few words. The prose is less so, but still lyrical and beautiful much of the time.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Well, first, let me say a BIG :welcome: back, Bix. I'm so glad you've joined us.

And GG, THAT'S IT! I couldn't put my finger on it.....on how to describe her style of autobiography - but it did sort of read like fiction....as if it was a tale that she was carefully weaving.

And it certainly had my attention all the way through. Not a boring page in this book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I prefer Patti's prose to her poetry. Her prose is very descriptive and lyrical and her poetry is more spare and stark. I like the descriptive best...she wrote so that I could experience the events with her.

A lovely passage from p. 112-

The Chelsea was like a doll's house in the Twilight Zone, with a hundred rooms, each a small universe. I wandered the halls seeking its spirits, dead or alive.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 am

Theresa wrote:I prefer Patti's prose to her poetry. Her prose is very descriptive and lyrical and her poetry is more spare and stark. I like the descriptive best...she wrote so that I could experience the events with her.

A lovely passage from p. 112-

The Chelsea was like a doll's house in the Twilight Zone, with a hundred rooms, each a small universe. I wandered the halls seeking its spirits, dead or alive.

Wonderful quote :ok:

Return to “Just Kids”