Just Kids Question #10 - Very Joan Baez Hair

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #10 - Very Joan Baez Hair

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Pg. 140:

As we were leaving in the elevator, Fred Hughes, who managed the Factory, addressed me in a condescending voice. “Ohhh, your hair is very Joan Baez. Are you a folksinger?” I don’t know why, as I admired her, but it bugged me.

Did it bug you? If so, why?

Why do you think it bugged Patti?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

FANtasticJD

Re: Just Kids Question #10 - Very Joan Baez Hair

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am

Of course the pomposity alone would have put off anyone. It irritated me when I read it, a deliberate and uncalled for put down. For the great individualist that is Patti it must have cut rather deeply, especially at a time when she was still discovering herself and finding her way in this creative and dysfunctional milieu. I think she quite prides herself on the androgynous purity of her look. To be almost accused of appropriating the look of a famous someone diminishes the uniqueness of her own persona.

I have a little story related to this. Patti currently takes some pains to look natural and rather unkempt. I had the good fortune to attend the opening reception for her photography exhibit. During the reception she was buzzing around through the crowd with stray braids throughout her hair. She gave a (marvelous) concert and poetry reading following the reception. The braids were gone but her do was filled with what looked like natural waves. ;) She, btw, dislikes having her picture taken and The museum strictly requested all cameras and cell phones be put away.
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Patti currently takes some pains to look natural and rather unkempt.

Indeed she does makeup-wise and sometimes her white roots are showing, but more than not, she's colored her hair, so her vanity still lives...and purity it is not. I think I would respect her age and wisdom more if she did embrace that she had earned those grey hairs, much like JB has. I find the dark color is harsh on her nowadays.

I agree, she most likely didn't like to be compared to anyone.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:15 pm

:wave: FAN and Charlene. Glad to see you two here.

I agree with you, FAN, that it probably bugged her for the reason you gave - that she wanted to be seen as the unique person that she is.

Charlene, it just hadn't occurred to me that she was dying her hair. I had seen a high school photo of her where her hair seems lighter than most of the pictures we've seen of her young. But I think it was just a washed out photo. I've since seen other versions of the photo where her hair is much darker. But I color my hair too. So I get it. Why not, if you have the money to do it?

I was personally bugged by the comment because I felt like this guy was stereotyping. And because it was in a condescending voice, he must not have liked folk singers, and he was putting them down. Just the whole thing made me feel icky.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Just Kids”