Summer Reading at ONBC

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Summer Reading at ONBC

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat May 25, 2013 3:07 am

nebraska wrote:
Theresa wrote:
nebraska wrote:For what it is worth, I have been shopping in the new and used section of Amazon.com -- I originally read the Kindle edition of Just Kids, but I managed to score a hard back copy very inexpensively as well as a book of Robert's photographs published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Whitney Art Museum exhibit. Yesterday I was able to purchase a used biography of Robert for a penny plus shipping. The bargains are out there if anyone is looking for background reading.

I also was able to purchase a biography of Woody Guthrie at our library's recent used book sale. :cool:

I use my Kindle for much of my reading now, but I always try to get physical copies of the ONBC books for my special ONBC shelf. And I try to get many of the books that we find out that Johnny is reading or has read...just in case we discuss them here. Used books--that's THE way to go! I get them from Amazon, Abebooks.com and Alibris.com.

I enjoy my Kindle a lot, but I notice that sometimes it doesn't have the photos that a "real" book contains.

Funny I was surprised that the books I bought did have photos like the actual book but maybe its was just the books I bought.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I found a copy of Just Kids discounted at a local bookstore! Looking forward to digging in!

:noodlemantra:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 pm

:ok:

Glad to have you on board. It's a good one!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks firefly! I'm not one to post much, if anything, in the book discussions, but I do enjoy the tidbits and following along. There are very thoughtful and insightful people in the ONBC!

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I borrowed “Just Kids” from the local library when it was first released and I think I was only about 3 paragraphs in when I started kicking myself for not buying it outright. I knew immediately that this would be a book I would want to return to time and again. Well when I saw it was next up on the ONBC, I remedied that ill and managed to find a gently-used 1st ed hard-cover copy at a bargain price. It just arrived, and bonus – it’s autographed! :goodvibes:

You guys all know I’m a big Patti Smith fan – was lucky enough to see her show when she was in town last month - so I’m sure to be unabashedly biased in this discussion. :blush: :whistle: Can’t wait for the tidbits to begin. :bounce:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:44 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:I borrowed “Just Kids” from the local library when it was first released and I think I was only about 3 paragraphs in when I started kicking myself for not buying it outright. I knew immediately that this would be a book I would want to return to time and again. Well when I saw it was next up on the ONBC, I remedied that ill and managed to find a gently-used 1st ed hard-cover copy at a bargain price. It just arrived, and bonus – it’s autographed! :goodvibes:

Wow! Wonderful luck! That's what I love about used books, always a little history there.

I, too, saw Patti (last December in Baltimore) and she puts on a great, great show. Took my daughters, we had a wonderful time dancing.

I'm getting excited about the discussion as well. Love planning and researching the tidbits -- sort of like going on a trip, exploring things you don't know much about and then all the wonderful things you discover.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Patti's book is a very entertaining read and I hope to be able to finally join in for a change.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 pm

We're looking forward to you being there, moviemom.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Just finished reading the book last night -- it's a hard one to put down and walk away from -- and now I am anxiously awaiting the tidbits! It's nice to have something that I know will be awesome, to look forward to. :omg:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I have to make a confession.
I had never heard of Patti Smith before she started hanging out with Johnny.
I had never heard of Robert Mapplethorpe before I read "Just Kids".
So I have been on a steep learning curve, reading biographies and looking at photographs........ :yikes:
So far I do not share everyone's enthusiasm for this book, but I am soldiering on. I am trying to remember some of the advice Nora Guthrie gave about just reading and accepting at face value.
I may be more of an observer in this discussion, but I learn something from every ONBC adventure.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:53 am

I'm so looking forward to the tidbits! July 8th, I believe, so I imagine Liz and Fireflydances are hard at work. I hope they are getting carried along from one wondrous discovery to the next, being led in all directions! :artist: :paint: :writer2: :guitar:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 pm

July 8 it is Joni. We're still on schedule.

The book has stayed with me too.

Nebraska, you have a leg up on me, having read the Mapplethorpe book. I'm always impressed by your enthusiasm to dig further.....even when you aren't enthused about the book itself.
:highfive:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Wow, it's almost time to start the tidbits? :-O

Boy, time sure flies....I better get reading!

shaman-art

Unread postby shaman-art » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 am

I almost accidentially discovered "Just Kids" the day it came out in Germany. I walked into my favorite bookstore and was looking for something new to read, but I was more looking for a novel or crime fiction. I read almost everything in English, so I went straight to the corner where the English books are. There on the table I saw "Just Kids". I don't know why, but it got my attention. I read the first 50 pages still standing in the store before I realized that it was getting late. Of course I bought it. I've read it twice since.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:51 am

Just spent the last two days reading the book as I suddenly realised I hadn't got round to it. Really good read.

Return to “Just Kids”