Summer Reading at ONBC

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Summer Reading at ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Noodlemantras, we have an announcement.

We are excited to announce our next book selection.....

Just Kids by Patti Smith.

Why this book? Because Patti is part of the Depp Family – a close friend to Johnny. Also she captures a time, place and people – artists, writers, musicians – that was formative in terms of art and music history.

So join us as we wander the streets of lower Manhattan , crowd into CBGBs and camp out at the Chelsea Hotel. Come, spend your summer in the city with us. It will be hot, humid, and heavy.

Tidbits begin July 8. Discussion to follow roughly a month later.

Hoping you’ll join us. :hope:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Summer Reading at ONBC

Unread postby Theresa » Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Ooh, we're going to get some juicy tidbits from this one! :yahoo:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 pm

:yahoo: Sounds great!

I don't know why, but I thought you had already done this book. :perplexed:
Even better now, I can actually be in on the discussion. :ok:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed May 15, 2013 2:28 am

Interesting :ok:

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 am

:loveshower: :loveshower: Can't wait!
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am

I see the Kindle copy is really cheap and I had a look inside looks interesting enough for me to read :ok:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm

It should be a wild ride for sure! I have read the book and wasn't impressed but I know I will get a different understanding of it here from tidbits and discussion.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 24, 2013 4:25 pm

For what it is worth, I have been shopping in the new and used section of Amazon.com -- I originally read the Kindle edition of Just Kids, but I managed to score a hard back copy very inexpensively as well as a book of Robert's photographs published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Whitney Art Museum exhibit. Yesterday I was able to purchase a used biography of Robert for a penny plus shipping. The bargains are out there if anyone is looking for background reading.

I also was able to purchase a biography of Woody Guthrie at our library's recent used book sale. :cool:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri May 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Nothing like used books is there??!! Found treasure, water in the desert, the unexpected rose outside your window.

I was curious, nebraska. Which Robert biography? I read one about 3 years ago and since then we've moved and I can't locate it anywhere. Patricia Morrisroe was the author. Frustrating.

One hour later:

I found my Mapplethorpe, hallelujah!!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri May 24, 2013 6:28 pm

nebraska wrote:For what it is worth, I have been shopping in the new and used section of Amazon.com -- I originally read the Kindle edition of Just Kids, but I managed to score a hard back copy very inexpensively as well as a book of Robert's photographs published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Whitney Art Museum exhibit. Yesterday I was able to purchase a used biography of Robert for a penny plus shipping. The bargains are out there if anyone is looking for background reading.

I also was able to purchase a biography of Woody Guthrie at our library's recent used book sale. :cool:

I use my Kindle for much of my reading now, but I always try to get physical copies of the ONBC books for my special ONBC shelf. And I try to get many of the books that we find out that Johnny is reading or has read...just in case we discuss them here. Used books--that's THE way to go! I get them from Amazon, Abebooks.com and Alibris.com.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 24, 2013 6:34 pm

fireflydances wrote:Nothing like used books is there??!! Found treasure, water in the desert, the unexpected rose outside your window.

I was curious, nebraska. Which Robert biography? I read one about 3 years ago and since then we've moved and I can't locate it anywhere. Patricia Morrisroe was the author. Frustrating.

One hour later:

I found my Mapplethorpe, hallelujah!!

That is the one I purchased! It had a lot of stars rating.
I read the trial kindle sample of the book by Fritscher but that one might be a little graphic for me.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Theresa wrote:
nebraska wrote:For what it is worth, I have been shopping in the new and used section of Amazon.com -- I originally read the Kindle edition of Just Kids, but I managed to score a hard back copy very inexpensively as well as a book of Robert's photographs published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Whitney Art Museum exhibit. Yesterday I was able to purchase a used biography of Robert for a penny plus shipping. The bargains are out there if anyone is looking for background reading.

I use my Kindle for much of my reading now, but I always try to get physical copies of the ONBC books for my special ONBC shelf. And I try to get many of the books that we find out that Johnny is reading or has read...just in case we discuss them here. Used books--that's THE way to go! I get them from Amazon, Abebooks.com and Alibris.com.

I enjoy my Kindle a lot, but I notice that sometimes it doesn't have the photos that a "real" book contains.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Another thing to add to the to-do list....Maybe I'll actually "do" this one. :lol:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:Another thing to add to the to-do list....Maybe I'll actually "do" this one. :lol:

Lace up your Nikes....and "Just Do It!"

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri May 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Theresa wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:Another thing to add to the to-do list....Maybe I'll actually "do" this one. :lol:

Lace up your Nikes....and "Just Do It!"

:razz:

Return to “Just Kids”