Just Kids Question #5 - Just another day at the Chelsea

by Patti Smith

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Just Kids Question #5 - Just another day at the Chelsea

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Pg. 133: “Well,” I said to Raymond, “Just another day at the Chelsea.”

Those were not typical days in a typical hotel. What did you think about the typical days at the Chelsea? How would YOU react if it was a common occurrence to see Grace Slick, Janice Joplin, Allen Ginsberg (or pick your favorite music star or actor)?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Just Kids Question #5 - Just another day at the Chelsea

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I loved this part of the book it was filled with such interesting people, and I think it was quite amazing that all these odd people seemed to be in this one place.
I think it like anywhere else where famous or reasonably famous people hang out in an area you get used to it . I imagine its the same in Hollywod or Beverley Hills you see them but you don't think anything of it .

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

But I kept thinking, wait a minute, I thought they were in San Francisco (Grace Slick and Janis Joplin).....or LA (Jimi Hendrix). I can tell you where Janis Joplin and Grace Slick lived in SF. And they were houses, not hotels.

But obviously, they had enough money that they could move around (or have two places to live in simultaneously).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:30 am

Liz wrote:But I kept thinking, wait a minute, I thought they were in San Francisco (Grace Slick and Janis Joplin).....or LA (Jimi Hendrix). I can tell you where Janis Joplin and Grace Slick lived in SF. And they were houses, not hotels.

But obviously, they had enough money that they could move around (or have two places to live in simultaneously).

She explained why they were there it was becasue of Woodstock they were staying there before going there to perform. I always thought Jimi spent alot of time in New York or London I've never thought of him as being out West or Janis but then maybe I don't know that much about them didn't seem odd to me that they were there :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Aww, yes, GG. Woodstock. Forgot about that. And I guess Janis returned to the Chelsea another time to perform at Wollman Rink - just before she died. The Chelsea was their home away from home, I guess.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Liz wrote:Aww, yes, GG. Woodstock. Forgot about that. And I guess Janis returned to the Chelsea another time to perform at Wollman Rink - just before she died. The Chelsea was their home away from home, I guess.

Yep seems like it :ok:

FANtasticJD

Unread postby FANtasticJD » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Vanity Fair has posted a wonderful article with accompanying slide show about the Chelsea. It is well worth reading/seeing.

“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

Return to “Just Kids”