House of Earth Question #25 - Casting Question

by Woody Guthrie

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

House of Earth Question #25 - Casting Question

Unread postby Liz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 pm

To follow up on yesterday's question, do you think House of Earth lends itself better to film or the stage?

How would you cast it?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: House of Earth Question #25 - Casting Question

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:16 am

I don't think it again would work as either really without alot more added to it to make it more interesting. Certainly as a film it would need more story probably more interaction with other people.

Casting? No idea it wasn't something I could visualise anybody in the parts.
Although I think in the past you could probably have cast Sally Field in the part of Ella May, its the type of part that would have fit her.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 am

A couple of people have said "not much happens" in House of Earth. I grant you that the setting doesn't change much, but huge things happen in the book. It's about fighting for shared dreams and struggling against forces far greater than oneself, about justice and interpersonal relationships, about how human beings persist in the face of all odds...about faith and folly, hubris and humanity....

Anybody you'd cast would have to be able to expose those big themes - without losing the "common man" effect. Great roles...

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 am

I see House of Earth more as a character study and a scenery drawing than an actual "story" in the usual sense. I remember telling my husband that I was well over half way through the book and "nothing has happened yet". I think that could work as a movie because of the artful things that could be done with cameras and music and lighting. That doesn't mean it would be a popular movie or a big money-maker. I don't see it being a stage production without lots of work.

As for casting, I don't know who to pick. Pretty much if Johnny isn't in it, I don't know anything about it, except for the Hunger Games. And Jennifer Lawrence might actually make a good Ella May.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 pm

nebraska wrote:I think that could work as a movie because of the artful things that could be done with cameras and music and lighting.

I agree. I think it could be artfully done. The elements that Buster mentioned could be accentuated.

nebraska wrote:As for casting, I don't know who to pick. Pretty much if Johnny isn't in it, I don't know anything about it, except for the Hunger Games. And Jennifer Lawrence might actually make a good Ella May.

Oooh, good choice! I think a young Sally Field would be good too, as GG mentioned.

I thought of Reese Witherspoon as Ella May. Maybe Amy Adams, or Jessica Chastain. But I am really liking the Jennifer Lawrence choice.

For Blanche, my nominee is Amanda Seyfried, only because I can't think of anyone else. Jessica Chastain might be good too.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Forgot to cast Tike. Oops. :blush:

I don't see Johnny in the role at all. My vote is Owen Wilson, although he might be a tad too old.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:01 pm

As it is written now I don't see it as a film unless there were some changes. Hollywood would probably introduce a big, bad villain and have Tike and Blanche act on Tike's suggestion. :lol: I have never been good at our casting questions. The actor that I kept seeing as Tike was the man who played the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Someone tall and lanky.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am

Ray Bolger would have been perfect!

If the movie had been made in that time period, he would have been a shoe in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 am

Channing Tatum? I know that physically he has a different body style from Tike but I have watched the 21 Jump Street movie for a second time last night and seeing what he did with his character in that movie I think he could do this.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:36 am

Channing would bring in the numbers ($$$$), that's for sure. But yeah, I think he could bring Tike to life. Excellent choice, nebraska.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:45 pm

I opt for play over movie. In my mind there is a lot of beauty in the words, the chants if you will, that I don't think would carry over to a movie -- at least the kind of movies we see being made these days.

In terms of wide open creativity, I think the stage has it over the movie hands down. Not in big visuals, but in the ability to reach and involve the audience. Things can be staged in a enormous variety of ways. One of my favorites, years ago off stage Broadway, this Japanese playwright (?) showered the audience with paper cherry blossoms at one point. It was enchanting, unexpected and involved all of us in what was going on in front of us. In another play I saw, the audience sat in huge stuffed chairs on the stage itself and the action took place inches from us. It was Shakespeare -- Midsummer Night's Dream.

But it's chiefly the language that I don't want to see lost. The words are beautiful in this one - pouring over us.

PS Absolutely no idea about who to play who. I only see it as a ensemble type thing. Songs, lots of singing. Musicians on stage. I am hopeless when it comes to names anyway.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 am

I can see it going either way. I just don't know stage actors or actresses.

Return to “House of Earth”