House of Earth Question #17 - Style

by Woody Guthrie

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

House of Earth Question #17 - Style

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 am

What did you think of Woody’s writing style?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: House of Earth Question #17 - Style

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am

I am not really enthused about stream of consciousness writing over all. The portions where he just strung a bunch of similar sounding or rhyming words together were really annoying to me. But I suppose they served to illustrate a bit about how Tike's mind worked, it seems he was the one who rattled off those long lists.

Woody had flashes of brilliance -- so many scenes and characters were well drawn and I had strong mental pictures as I read. He was able to select bits that really illustrated the people and places without disturbing the flow of the narrative.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 am

Reading the first few pages he seemed to do a good job of describing the landscape, but I'm with Nebraska on the stream of consciousness thoughts, I just found that really irritatiing.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I didn't mind the stream of consciousness. I guess you could consider it to be like the lyrics to a song.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Liz wrote:I didn't mind the stream of consciousness. I guess you could consider it to be like the lyrics to a song.

That was very much my reaction. I don't know that I read his words for meaning in these sections, more floating along on the top of them. Eventually the repetition of sounds, and images kind of invades the mind. It was sometimes like chanting for me. Yeah, I liked them a lot. In fact, I was so pleased to find that a book can still be published that isn't all stripped down to the bone. There is something to be said about playing with words, in the same way that a musician plays with sounds.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 pm

At time it was very annoying and I admit I skipped a few lines when it went on and on. I had the same thoughts about Woody being a songwriter and how that may have reflected on his choices. Firefly, I thought of chanting too, especially when it came to Tike.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “House of Earth”