by Woody Guthrie

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

House of Earth Question #11 - Favorite Character

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Which is your favorite character? Why?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: House of Earth Question #11 - Favorite Character

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Ella May. Probably because I could identify with her the most closely.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:11 pm

I don't think I have a favorite. I liked individual things about each of them - Tike, Ella and Blanche.

I liked Tike's transparency. He was pure, he was exactly who he was. He held nothing back even his impulses. Tike had never learned the unhandy art of keeping his craving a secret. To him a craving was a craving--he did not make them, so did not have to feel ashamed of them.

I think the family's future depends on Ella, so she is the strong one. She molds her passions with thoughts, with purpose. She is also a visionary, just as connected as Tike is to the essential pulse of life. More practical, but I think she will always appreciate his trueness (probably not a word).

I like the coolness of Blanche also. It's as though the other two are heated elementary forms of life and Blanche is rationality or science. I can't imagine how Tike and Ella would have given birth without her, but at the same time, I don't know that she hears or sees what they do about the land, the wind, etc.

I like them together, as a trio.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am

I would have to say Blanche but thats becasue I just couldn't like Ella May of Tike. I don't know she just seemed more interesting.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:37 pm

For me, it's a tie between the 2 ladies.

I liked Ella May because she was strong, wise and persevered.

I liked Blanche because she was helpful, spunky and mysterious.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Ella May...you have to admire a woman who could put up with Tike. Of course, the other side of me feels sorry for her, or wants to ask her "what were you thinking?"

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

I didn't have a real favorite character. Ella May I admired for her strenth but would be agrivated at her for putting up with Tike. Tike was not in the running. Blanche I liked with she seemed a minor character with not alot of background. Guess I can say " None of the above".

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Oh, I loved Tike. He reminds me of a neighbor of mine, and of guys I've worked with...He's so clearly himself, sometimes exasperating, true, but he cares.
I don't want to assume things, but maybe the reason so many of you didn't like him is exactly because he is so realistically drawn. We see his faults and failings, and they are the same things that annoy us in our daily lives. That's kind of what got me about him- I can see myself being irritated at him one moment, and completely forgiving him the next, just the same as it is with anyone.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm with Buster on this one. As a character, I just love Tike. He has such an incredible passion for life! I think it would be highly contagious. We see his passion for women, for Ella May, for adobe, for his son. He is always 100% present in the moment. And he’s just such a goofball – making animal sounds as he does his chores, making all sorts of baby sounds after his son is born. He’s clearly a man who likes to laugh and joke around. I’d like to meet Tike in real life. I think he’d be a hoot! Ella May and Blanche are good and admirable people, but Tike's a guy I'd like to spend an afternoon with.
Buster wrote:Oh, I loved Tike. He reminds me of a neighbor of mine, and of guys I've worked with...He's so clearly himself, sometimes exasperating, true, but he cares.
I don't want to assume things, but maybe the reason so many of you didn't like him is exactly because he is so realistically drawn. We see his faults and failings, and they are the same things that annoy us in our daily lives. That's kind of what got me about him-I can see myself being irritated at him one moment, and completely forgiving him the next, just the same as it is with anyone.
I completely agree with that! I'd be just the same.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Buster wrote:Oh, I loved Tike. He reminds me of a neighbor of mine, and of guys I've worked with...He's so clearly himself, sometimes exasperating, true, but he cares.
I don't want to assume things, but maybe the reason so many of you didn't like him is exactly because he is so realistically drawn. We see his faults and failings, and they are the same things that annoy us in our daily lives. That's kind of what got me about him- I can see myself being irritated at him one moment, and completely forgiving him the next, just the same as it is with anyone.

I agree with the realism. I think of Tike as a 'set piece' of a certain time and place, as much as graniteware defines a time. People are deeply affected by their environment -- what is going on around them, where they live, how they speak etc. Fifty years from now people will not think exactly as we do about what it means to be human. It changes, we are plastic, pliable, our thoughts and definitions of what life means evolves as everything around us evolves.

One thing that was extremely special for me about Tike was the fact that he called Ella "Lady." My grandfather called by grandmother by that name. Never her first name, always simply Lady. I don't know if men used to use this slang phrase back in the 1930s. I tried to research it, but found nothing. Guthrie took a nickname and let me see if from the standpoint of a man who loves a woman. That was special.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am

fireflydances wrote:

I agree with the realism. I think of Tike as a 'set piece' of a certain time and place, as much as graniteware defines a time. People are deeply affected by their environment -- what is going on around them, where they live, how they speak etc. Fifty years from now people will not think exactly as we do about what it means to be human. It changes, we are plastic, pliable, our thoughts and definitions of what life means evolves as everything around us evolves.

One thing that was extremely special for me about Tike was the fact that he called Ella "Lady." My grandfather called by grandmother by that name. Never her first name, always simply Lady. I don't know if men used to use this slang phrase back in the 1930s. I tried to research it, but found nothing. Guthrie took a nickname and let me see if from the standpoint of a man who loves a woman. That was special.

I found that really annoying myself. I would hate it if someone called me that.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm

It was my grandfather and grandmother GG. My family.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm

fireflydances wrote:It was my grandfather and grandmother GG. My family.

I know but Tike used it which is why you brought it up, it just annoyed me not in a terribley bad way just a niggley way.

Return to “House of Earth”