ONBC Discusses House of Earth

by Woody Guthrie

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: ONBC Discusses House of Earth

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 pm

fireflydances wrote:
nebraska wrote:So I am guessing it would have been a benefit to see the Dust Bowl programs that were on PBS recently? I missed them, but may have to see if there is a way to download them to my Kindle.

Yes, it would have. Check PBS online. Some areas are re-showing the segments -- you enter your zip code, they tell you where and when. I was lucky to see all five hours on New Year's Day. Excellent documentary. Highly recommend them.

Looks like there is quite a bit of information here I will keep looking.

P.S. Looks like I could get it pretty reasonably on my Kindle from Amazon.com as well.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:46 pm

We'd heard rumor that this was the case, but now it's official. There is an audio version of House of Earth, to be read by Johnny and Douglas Brinkley. Initially it looked like this was coming out later, but according to the link I found on Amazon today, the Harperaudio CD can be pre-ordered now and will be out February 5th.

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Pixie

Unread postby Pixie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks Firefly! :ok: Amazon UK are showing it too, but without a release date.

Pizarros Pies

Unread postby Pizarros Pies » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Pixie wrote:Thanks Firefly! :ok: Amazon UK are showing it too, but without a release date.

Er... it says the release date is 5th February on the UK site too. :perplexed:

Pixie

Unread postby Pixie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Pizarros Pies wrote:
Pixie wrote:Thanks Firefly! :ok: Amazon UK are showing it too, but without a release date.

Er... it says the release date is 5th February on the UK site too. :perplexed:

Thanks for spotting that, Pizarros Pies. I found it now scrolling further down the page. :blush:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Now I'm ready to begin -Just borrowed The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan and Woody Guthrie: A Life by Joe Klein from the library. Bring on the tidbits!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

I know I reported that the audio CD version of House of Earth would be released February 5th on Amazon, but they've now changed the release date to March 19th. (Grinds teeth)

So now we have to order the hard copy in order to read the book for the discussion we start in early March (tidbits in mid February) and then, of course, we need to purchase the audio version read by JD and Douglas Brinkley. Because, trust me on this gang, this is a book you are going to thoroughly enjoy Johnny reading.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they start him off on the first chapter. He should always do first chapters, right? :bigwink:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 pm

fireflydances wrote:I know I reported that the audio CD version of House of Earth would be released February 5th on Amazon, but they've now changed the release date to March 19th. (Grinds teeth)

So now we have to order the hard copy in order to read the book for the discussion we start in early March (tidbits in mid February) and then, of course, we need to purchase the audio version read by JD and Douglas Brinkley. Because, trust me on this gang, this is a book you are going to thoroughly enjoy Johnny reading.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they start him off on the first chapter. He should always do first chapters, right? :bigwink:

I just went and checked it out at Amazon and Johnny's name is no longer listed as a reader. So it looks like we shouldn't preorder--things keep changing!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Theresa wrote:
fireflydances wrote:I know I reported that the audio CD version of House of Earth would be released February 5th on Amazon, but they've now changed the release date to March 19th. (Grinds teeth)

I just went and checked it out at Amazon and Johnny's name is no longer listed as a reader. So it looks like we shouldn't preorder--things keep changing!

Wow, Theresa, you're right. Disappointing development.

winona

Unread postby winona » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I already did :rolleyes: :bawl:
Because love has your face and body .....and your hands are tender and your mouth is sweet-and God has made no other eyes like yours. Walter Benton

Pixie

Unread postby Pixie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Amazon UK haven't changed this yet, but they'll probably follow soon. :sad: Will keep an eye out.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 pm

winona wrote:I already did :rolleyes: :bawl:

I'm sure you can cancel it winona.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Joni wrote:
winona wrote:I already did :rolleyes: :bawl:

I'm sure you can cancel it winona.

I was able to cancel a pre-order before. Shouldn't be a problem.

But this is a real bummer, Ted. :-/
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

summer70

Unread postby summer70 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Looking foward to reading this! :yes:

emma

Unread postby emma » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Jan 20
More on Woody Guthrie’s House of Earth

A lovely endorsement came in this week from Karen Tallant at The Booksellers at Laurelwood in Memphis. (BTW, it makes for a nice shelf talker. :-) )

Woody Guthrie was a lyric genius. From the first sentence, House of Earth demonstrates this lyrical power; a strength based in the certainty that Guthrie’s voice was wholly his own. This was never a man of artifice but of evocation. The story of Tike and Ella May is the story of those who stayed to fight for the land during the worst environmental disaster of the last century, and their story displays a frank passion for this land, for each other and for the dreams they held. We, as Americans, need this novel right now; the reminder that each of us is a house of earth.”

Rolling Stone is running an interview with Nora Guthrie and Doug Brinkley in the current issue. People and USA Today will be reviewing in early February and USA Today included the book in their “Top 10 Winter Reads.” NPR’s Morning Edition will interview Nora Guthrie and Doug Brinkley on February 5th.

Also, for those of you who ordered the CD, we’ve moved the on sale from 2/5/13 to 3/19/13. Sad to say, Johnny Depp is not be reading. But the good news is that the fabulous Will Patton is.

Return to “House of Earth”