Life After Death Question #24: Damien's Future Path

by Damien Echols

Moderator: Liz

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Life After Death Question #24: Damien's Future Path

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Damien’s book showcases his talent for writing and communicating ideas. What might his future path be? Advocate? Writer? What else?
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

shadowydog

Re: Life After Death Question #24: Damien's Future Path

Unread postby shadowydog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm not sure; but I worry that he is fatally damaged and will never adjust to his life outside of his cell and be at peace.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 pm

I don't know. I think he'll do fine. Anyone that can emerge from 20 years on Death Row and speak before audiences, on TV, on the radio -- can hold his own in life.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 am

It is hard to say. He has no job training or skills as such, and since his status is still officially that of a convicted murderer his options might be limited to some degree by that. Hopefully he can make and save enough money from the sales of his book to have some worthwhile investments that will help to tide him over and of course, Lorri will be working.

He does have writing talent -- he may have some future in that, although again, there is no diploma or resumé other than his success with letter writing and the book(s) that have been published when it comes to getting a regular job on a newspaper as a reporter or columnist. Freelance writing is definitely an option.

Maybe a reality television program dealing with life on the outside after death row?

Realistically, I think the initial fame will begin to fade and I am not sure it will be enough to open traditional career doors in the long run. Perhaps I am being too practical, but with the unemployment rates at present, I think Damien may have a difficult road ahead.

firefly, what do you have in mind when you speak of a future as an advocate?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:46 am

A future these days as a columnist isn't all that good. Those days are gone, I'm afraid.....gone with newsprint.

But I do think that he can be a writer of novels, if he gets the right guidance and support. It seems he has enough people in his corner to help him with that. And he has the talent for writing. Those two things are a winning combination.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 am

His legal status would preclude some corporate jobs, but I can't imagine him wanting to join that particular rat-race, thank you very much.
I hope he is looking at his experience as a unique qualification - he has learned first-hand about things that can make a huge difference in the lives of other people who are suffering. It's not about money, you know; it's about feeling like you are pulling your own weight, doing what you can to be a positive force in the world. And Damien is already working full-time at that.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Buster wrote:His legal status would preclude some corporate jobs, but I can't imagine him wanting to join that particular rat-race, thank you very much.
I hope he is looking at his experience as a unique qualification - he has learned first-hand about things that can make a huge difference in the lives of other people who are suffering. It's not about money, you know; it's about feeling like you are pulling your own weight, doing what you can to be a positive force in the world. And Damien is already working full-time at that.

But a person needs to eat and have a place to live; some sort of an income is necessary. Damien is in a particularly strange situation as far as how to provide for himself and his wife. The typical middle class life is unlikely to happen any time soon.
As I said, I probably am too practical. There are options open to Damien that wouldn't even be on my radar screen.

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Damien is also a very talented artist...painting, etc. That might be an option for him.
Funny ol' world, innit?

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm

nebraska wrote:It is hard to say. He has no job training or skills as such, and since his status is still officially that of a convicted murderer his options might be limited to some degree by that. Hopefully he can make and save enough money from the sales of his book to have some worthwhile investments that will help to tide him over and of course, Lorri will be working.

He does have writing talent -- he may have some future in that, although again, there is no diploma or resumé other than his success with letter writing and the book(s) that have been published when it comes to getting a regular job on a newspaper as a reporter or columnist. Freelance writing is definitely an option.

Maybe a reality television program dealing with life on the outside after death row?

Realistically, I think the initial fame will begin to fade and I am not sure it will be enough to open traditional career doors in the long run. Perhaps I am being too practical, but with the unemployment rates at present, I think Damien may have a difficult road ahead.

firefly, what do you have in mind when you speak of a future as an advocate?

You asked what I meant in terms of "advocate." There are all kinds of advocates, from people trained in law through to people whose abilities to command people's attention and influence their opinions.

I personally found Life After Death the best case for prison reform I've had the pleasure to read. The fact that the book is on Laura Bush's list of her favorite books for 2012 says something. His writing style -- the way he gets you to "see" the conditions, "see" the individuals--makes him a powerful communicator. Something has to be done with how the US handles criminal behavior, never mind the scores of mentally ill people we now have posing as criminals. No one is winning in the current system -- not the victim, not the offender, and not the wider society, the cost alone makes it a nonsustaining.

I would like to see Damien continue to speak and write about prison. And if he has another subject he burns to write, go for it I say.

And I am hopeful about his future. Life isn't easy and there are no guarantees, but I think he'll make it. :angel:

MaggyCutler

Unread postby MaggyCutler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:08 pm

fireflydances you just read my mind. And you used much better words than I could have. I think Damien could kill two birds with one stone, by being an advocate for prison reform and better public defenders he could make a difference in the world. And I think he could earn a nice living for him and Lorri by doing more public speaking gigs - I think he could earn alot of money by speaking infront of civic groups, clubs, organizations and corporate events.

Return to “Life After Death”