Life After Death Question #23 - Mermaids

by Damien Echols

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Life After Death Question #23 - Mermaids

Unread postby Liz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Pg. 374: Did you know that Christopher Columbus saw mermaids? In fact, he saw them so often he treated them as nothing out of the ordinary. They don’t teach you that fact in your average public school textbook, but it’s easy enough to find. Just research his captain’s log for the date of January 9, 1493. On that single day he described sighting three of them. And in 1531 the people of a small village near Germany recorded having captured one. They called it a “bishop fish.” It was male and died of starvation after refusing to eat.

My point? The world is full of magick and wonders, most of which are being completely ignored.

Here’s the History Channel’s opinion on this, and it seems to have come from Washington Irving: “Columbus, disposed to give a wonderful character to everything in this New World, had identified these misshapen animals with the sirens of ancient story”

What is Damien trying to say here? What can we learn from it, taking into account what the History Channel says about it?

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Life After Death Question #23 - Mermaids

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I guess we can make our own reality when things seem unbearable. It is sort of the glass half full or half empty kind of thing. Seeing what we want to see, when it isn't real, can create its own set of problems, however.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Life After Death Question #23 - Mermaids

Unread postby Liz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 am

I wonder if it’s more about believing in the unbelievable…..in something you want to happen. Faith, hope. If you believe hard enough it will happen. Think of Peter Pan.

I wonder if it’s more about having an open mind to all the wondrous possibilities that this life has to offer us. In that sense it IS like the glass being half full instead of half empty. And if we aren’t open to the possibilities, we might miss something really wonderful.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Life After Death”