A question about the openness of the ONBC

by Damien Echols

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

A question about the openness of the ONBC

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 am

Just wanted to ask why this part of the zone is open to the public and can be read without being logged on? The reason I ask is that some things discussed here are often very personal especially in the present discussion and reading them I sometimes think it might be better if the discussion wasn't so open or if zoners taking part realise how open the discussion is for all to read. I think sometimes it makes me hesitate to join in some questions.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask I just thought I'd post it here since it was with regard to the ONBC rather than the whole zone.

Fern

Re: A question about the openess of the ONBC

Unread postby Fern » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 pm

I hadn't thought about the fact that it was open to the public. Perhaps it would be better private, especially if it meant that more people would share.

MaggyCutler

Unread postby MaggyCutler » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Worried about privacy? Don't post things that are private on any website. You don't know who any one is even members.

Fern

Unread postby Fern » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Posts written on the open board can show up on google, which is very different to only sharing with other fans on a message board, even if most of them are strangers.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Good question, GG.

There are several reasons that ONBC is public.

It generally doesn't get THAT personal. This particular discussion has been a little more personal than most. And one would assume you are anonymous. If you aren't, then maybe refrain from posting anything personal (i.e. if your You Tube user name is recognizable then you may choose not to post your playlists).

We have respectful and intelligent discussions that I believe the public has a right to see, especially if we want to draw members from said public.

Most important: I would like that all of our authors be able to view our discussions and their Q&As. For those who don't participate, they wouldn't even be aware we were discussing their books if we weren't public......Keif, for example. :bigwink: Also, when pitching an author for a Q&A, we direct him/her to our past Q&As and to our discussions so that they can see what we are about.

It would be nice if Johnny was able to view our discussions also. :pray:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Well, I know this is a public forum and keep that in mind when I post of personal experiences. I have no problem with the zone policy. Just think it should be a reminder on occasion so all those who are registered know that it is public.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Liz wrote:Most important: I would like that all of our authors be able to view our discussions and their Q&As. For those who don't participate, they wouldn't even be aware we were discussing their books if we weren't public...

I think this point alone is worth keeping ONBC open and not members-only. There have been several of our authors who read the discussions of their books and either joined the Zone to participate, or in some cases, replied to Zoner questions through Liz or DITHOT.

Yes, some of the discussions in this particular book have gotten quite personal, but we, as posters, always have the option to reveal as much or as little as we are comfortable with. We should never reveal more than we are willing to have open on the internet, whether it's a members-only forum or not.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Liz wrote:Good question, GG.

There are several reasons that ONBC is public.

It generally doesn't get THAT personal. This particular discussion has been a little more personal than most. And one would assume you are anonymous. If you aren't, then maybe refrain from posting anything personal (i.e. if your You Tube user name is recognizable then you may choose not to post your playlists).

We have respectful and intelligent discussions that I believe the public has a right to see, especially if we want to draw members from said public.

Most important: I would like that all of our authors be able to view our discussions and their Q&As. For those who don't participate, they wouldn't even be aware we were discussing their books if we weren't public......Keif, for example. :bigwink: Also, when pitching an author for a Q&A, we direct him/her to our past Q&As and to our discussions so that they can see what we are about.

It would be nice if Johnny was able to view our discussions also. :pray:

Interesting thought about the authors hadn't considered that :ok:
Not sure though about the public having the right to see something, but as Shadowydog says I respect the zones policy too, but it just seemed this book people had been posting very personal experiences and although they a re annoymous as such as everybody uses screen names, the posts are there for the world to see for ever after as unlike most of the other posts they don't terminate after a certain time. It was just a thought .

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Theresa wrote:
Liz wrote:Most important: I would like that all of our authors be able to view our discussions and their Q&As. For those who don't participate, they wouldn't even be aware we were discussing their books if we weren't public...

I think this point alone is worth keeping ONBC open and not members-only. There have been several of our authors who read the discussions of their books and either joined the Zone to participate, or in some cases, replied to Zoner questions through Liz or DITHOT.

Yes, some of the discussions in this particular book have gotten quite personal, but we, as posters, always have the option to reveal as much or as little as we are comfortable with. We should never reveal more than we are willing to have open on the internet, whether it's a members-only forum or not.

I know I have been one among others that was quite open about my feelings. But I am not ashamed of any of it. I discuss my depression with any number of people, family, friends, everyone. Some people make assumptions about any struggle with mental illness, but one of the reasons I do speak out, its because I want other people to know it okay to talk about it. That they are not alone. And while it is a rough patch...I got through. Of course I don't mean for others to reveal anything they don't want to...but maybe it helps to know there are other out there who have been through bad times and made out well. After all, the book Damien wrote is basically about survival, one in a horrible situation. He was brave and honest about all of his feelings. I commend him for that.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Kittycat88 wrote:Some people make assumptions about any struggle with mental illness, but one of the reasons I do speak out, its because I want other people to know it okay to talk about it. That they are not alone. And while it is a rough patch...I got through. Of course I don't mean for others to reveal anything they don't want to...but maybe it helps to know there are other out there who have been through bad times and made out well. After all, the book Damien wrote is basically about survival, one in a horrible situation. He was brave and honest about all of his feelings. I commend him for that.

Thank you, Kittycat. :applause: It is so important to know we aren't alone in this world with our struggles, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Re: A question about the openness of the ONBC

Unread postby Endora » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Were it not for ONBC being open, I don't think I would have joined the zone. I suppose we all arrive from differnt directions, so it being a place where I could find a lot of things that interested me and realise there were kindred spirits out there was important. However, unfortunately ,maybe since then the internet has become more dangerous as a place, and we need to be more aware of what we write, even under screen names. But because of my own experience I'd like to see it kept public.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: A question about the openness of the ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for your input, Endora. And we're glad you found us. :cool:

Return to “Life After Death”