Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

by Mikhail Bulgakov

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:22 pm

How would you cast the upcoming Stone Village Pictures production?

Of course, we’re assuming that you will also cast Johnny in one of these choice roles.

Here is the list of the main characters for consideration. You can add more to the list if you would like:

Ivan
Berlioz
Woland
Korovyov
Azazello
Behemoth
Hella
Pontius Pilate
Yeshua
Levi Matvei
Mark Ratkiller
Judas
Joseph Kaifa
Margarita
Nikolai Ivanovich
Natasha
The Master
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 29137
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:13 pm

I am never very good at these casting questions because I don't watch enough television or films to be familiar with the actors/actresses of the day. So I will just cast Johnny as the Master. To be believable as the object of Margarita's desire I think the Master has to have a sensual attraction, an earthy desirability that a woman would be willing to sacrifice everything to possess. I also think that Johnny has the sensitivity to portray the tortured soul of the Master -- can you imagine those eyes in that cold miserable basement apartment, bereft of all hope and purpose?! :truefan:

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3271
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I am in exactly the same situation as Nebraska. I rarely watch TV, and go to the movies on a sporadic (cost controlled) basis. Once someone proposes an actor, I am able to track back and maybe even make other suggestions. But I can't start the ball in motion.

Now in terms of Johnny, I see him in two possible roles: Woland or Behemoth. There's a tremendous depth to Woland, and a number of different ways to take the role. None of the performers I saw in our survey of productions even came close to what's in my head for Woland. I think Woland's a shape-shifter whose accent changes, mannerisms change and even what he wishes to project changes from audience to audience. He's magical, although he hides the magic side until he is ready to demonstrate his true mastery.

I also like that Bulgakov manages to have Margarita impress Woland. I think it would take an actor with a capacity for very subtle expressive changes to capture this correctly. After all this is essential an eternal figure, a non-human, who is suddenly confronted by a mortal who is evidencing her own power, right in front of him.

I want a Woland who is very profane, dark, ironic, extremely powerful but also isolated and dependent on some being beyond him that he really doesn't understand at all. I think it would be a great fun role for Johnny, in part because Woland is part myth, part fantasy -- he's a transcendent character. Johnny could take his Woland wherever he wanted to go.

The other role I could see is Behemoth. The difference here would be Johnny going to the more humorous role. It's a lot smaller, but I definitely see the "cat" in Johnny, and I think he'd be absolutely unforgettable.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:26 pm

What about him playing all 3 roles? :lol:

I think he could do any of the 3 quite well.

I know he could play the Master.

And I see the cat in him too. It would be such a fun role (mixed with a little CGI).

But I think Woland would stretch him. It would be a different role for him. And it's 3 dimensional, with differing mannerisms and accents, as you say, Firefly.

My problem with him playing Woland is that I now can't get this guy out of my head because he plays the devil soooooo well.

Image
Terry O'Quinn

Still thinking about the rest.....
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 29137
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Do we all imagine Woland as an older man? How about Clint Eastwood? Having watched a few of his later films like Gran Torino, I think he has developed great acting skill over the years. I remember crying like a baby watching my DVD of the Bridges of Madison County with the director's commentary turned on; even without dialogue, Clint broke my heart.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 pm

That would be an interesting role for Clint. I like it. :ok: And yes, I see Woland as older - another thing new to Johnny, playing an older individual - he usually plays younger than he is.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

RamblinRebel
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Chicago or thereabouts

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm terrible at these casting questions as well. I just don't pay enough attention to actors or see enough movies. But as I was reading I kept thinking Johnny could do so well in so many of the roles. In addition to the ones already mentioned, I can also see him as Korovyov. But, if he were to do the movie, I'd really like him to play Woland.

fireflydances wrote:Now in terms of Johnny, I see him in two possible roles: Woland or Behemoth. There's a tremendous depth to Woland, and a number of different ways to take the role. None of the performers I saw in our survey of productions even came close to what's in my head for Woland. I think Woland's a shape-shifter whose accent changes, mannerisms change and even what he wishes to project changes from audience to audience. He's magical, although he hides the magic side until he is ready to demonstrate his true mastery.

I also like that Bulgakov manages to have Margarita impress Woland. I think it would take an actor with a capacity for very subtle expressive changes to capture this correctly. After all this is essential an eternal figure, a non-human, who is suddenly confronted by a mortal who is evidencing her own power, right in front of him.

I want a Woland who is very profane, dark, ironic, extremely powerful but also isolated and dependent on some being beyond him that he really doesn't understand at all. I think it would be a great fun role for Johnny, in part because Woland is part myth, part fantasy -- he's a transcendent character. Johnny could take his Woland wherever he wanted to go.

You summed up beautifully why I'd like to see Johnny as Woland, but I'll give you one more reason: There is a certain mischevious to Woland that I didn't see in any of the clips from our last question. I think Johnny could capture that beautifully - eyes dancing with delight, a sly (devilish :-) ) grin as he plays a trick. Woland has quite a sense of humor that shouldn't be ignored.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of a good Margarita. Anyone have any ideas?

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Here's my idea for Korovyov:

Image
Tony Geary



How 'bout Robert Downey Jr. for Behemoth or Jim Carey?



RR wrote:I've been racking my brain trying to think of a good Margarita. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm rather stumped on this one too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Buster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 am

How 'bout Robert Downey Jr. for Behemoth?

Nice.
I'm not sure any of the characters have to be a specific age, though the Master is certainly tired. I have a hard time imagining Johnny in that role, mostly because the Master seemed so...defeated. That just doesn't sound like JD to me. I can envision him playing Margarita, however;)

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 pm

:biglaugh:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3271
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Gheesh, we need one of our movie-expert types to come on over and suggest someone for Margarita. D :censored: if I could come up with any names.

The funny thing is I am sitting here and, well, you know who I came up with? Marilyn Monroe. I know, that time has passed. But she captures that earthy and sensual goddess thing -- down to earth yet also sexy. And funny too, because I think Margarita's sense of humor got her through the whole Woland and the Great Ball experience.

So, who today flaunts herself with a wink in her eye, and yet has a heart of gold?

I know, she's blond. In my head, for some reason, Margarita is always blond.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Buster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 am

How about...Patti Smith?

RamblinRebel
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Chicago or thereabouts

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Buster wrote:How about...Patti Smith?
:biggrin: She has my vote. :thumbsup:
(In my mind she even has the perfect hair. ;-) )

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 am

RamblinRebel wrote:
Buster wrote:How about...Patti Smith?
:biggrin: She has my vote. :thumbsup:
(In my mind she even has the perfect hair. ;-) )

There ya go! :ok:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Master and Margarita Question #30 - How would you cast the movie?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:25 am

fireflydances wrote:
I know, she's blond. In my head, for some reason, Margarita is always blond.

Blonde? I always saw her as a brunette. Hmmm. There are more blonde actresses than brunettes. Let me think on that.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.


Return to “The Master and Margarita”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests