Master and Margarita Question #27 - The Ending

by Mikhail Bulgakov

Moderator: Liz

RamblinRebel

Re: Master and Margarita Question #27 - The Ending

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:33 pm

fireflydances wrote: With regard to Ivan and why he is who he is at the end of the book, I still find myself wondering. His degree of unease, of downright sickness. Why is that? Obviously understanding the Master is at peace helps him, but why does he remain in such great turmoil?

I think it might be because he refuses to acknowledge what his subconscious knows to be true. He was witness to the 7th proof after all, but rather than embracing it, he has accepted the rational explanations of what happened. I think he is battling his own fear, his own cowardice.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 am

I think it might be because he refuses to acknowledge what his subconscious knows to be true. He was witness to the 7th proof after all, but rather than embracing it, he has accepted the rational explanations of what happened. I think he is battling his own fear, his own cowardice.

I agree, RamblinRebel. In some ways, Ivan is closest to "everyman" - the "regular" guy I think Bulgakov is pointing out that the struggle between good and evil is a continuing one, that each of us must figure out how to respond for ourselves. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away, and having once seen it, we are compelled to deal with it.

Perhaps that's the real point of the story - it shows us what exists "behind the scenes" and, now that we've been exposed to that vision, requires us to respond.

Let's hope a few of us are half as passionate and bold as Margarita...

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Buster wrote:

I agree, RamblinRebel. In some ways, Ivan is closest to "everyman" - the "regular" guy I think Bulgakov is pointing out that the struggle between good and evil is a continuing one, that each of us must figure out how to respond for ourselves. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away, and having once seen it, we are compelled to deal with it.

Perhaps that's the real point of the story - it shows us what exists "behind the scenes" and, now that we've been exposed to that vision, requires us to respond.

Let's hope a few of us are half as passionate and bold as Margarita...

I definitely agree with you two about Ivan. The other thing is, and perhaps this is saying the same thing as "his subconscious" but isn't it sometimes possible to be able to hold onto two truths simultaneously? He is the historian, and perhaps even the writer of the book we read, but he knows he is still in terrible fear about all that happened. We are often asked to hold two opposing ideas in our minds, feeling that the truth spans the two. So, maybe, if he is our narrator, why he is showing us his external face, and his internal face. Conflicted but both perspectives are required. Just a thought. I never cracked the Ivan code. Something to ponder on this winter when it's too cool to do anything but meditate.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “The Master and Margarita”