Q & A with A.C. Crispin #10

Author of THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Q & A with A.C. Crispin #10

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:53 am

ONBC: Were you a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and/or Johnny Depp before you took on this project? Did your sense of who Jack Sparrow is change over the course of writing the book?

Ann: I was certainly a fan of “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.” I saw it in the theater three times, and bought the DVD as soon as it came out. I confess to being disappointed by “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.” So much of the movie seemed taken up with that long and rather pointless interlude on the cannibal island. The plotting wasn’t as tight, and the pacing lagged. It also bothered me that Jack and Will’s relationship had deteriorated from the way it was at the end of the first film.

I had seen many of Johnny Depp’s films, including Gilbert Grape, From Hell, Ed Wood, The Ninth Gate, Chocolat, Edward Scissorhands, Blow, The Tourist, and Sweeney Todd. He’s done so many films! Since taking this assignment, I found myself wanting to see more, so I’ve seen Benny and Joon, the first season or so of 21 Jump Street, Dead Man, Cry Baby, and Secret Window. I’ll keep watching until I’ve caught up with all of them.

My vision of Jack that I wrote into the book was that he was “Jack becoming.” A young trickster, a catalyst who makes things happen for other people. The big difference between the younger Jack and the older Jack we saw in the films was that when he was younger, he was more apt to have an emotional stake in the events that happened around him. Sometimes these events were the result of his machinations, sometimes not. I gave Jack genuine feelings for others, though he usually tried to hide them and play it cool. He gets MUCH better at remaining detached by the time of the films. Jack learns all about how caring too much can lead to betrayal, and he learns that lesson well.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Jackslady

Re: Q & A with A.C. Crispin #10

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 pm

A very interesting reply Ann, thank you.

I definitely relate to your viewpoint on DMC. I think they had a "throw the kitchen sink" at it sort of attitude and you have clarified for me why I disliked it. I also had issues with how they indicated a cowardly side to Jack. Personally I've always felt that Jack is too intelligent to be brave - he can quickly see the folly of pursuing certain situations and will then do his best to avoid them. I see this as a cunning sense of self preservation rather than cowardice.

I love your summation of Jack and very much appreciate how you presented him as a fully rounded individual with plenty of varied emotions. I confess I have sometimes wondered how a Pirates film penned by a woman might differ from the films we have had so far. I wish Disney would commission you to write one!
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: Q & A with A.C. Crispin #10

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm

ditto Jackslady's comment!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Return to “A.C. Crispin”