Q & A with A. C. Crispin #7

Author of THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Q & A with A. C. Crispin #7

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 am

ONBC: I loved the setting and story line about Zerzura! How did you decide on using that particular legend as part of the story?

Ann: I needed a cool legend connected with Africa, and I had read Elizabeth Peters’ The Last Camel Died at Noon. Barbara, (who writes as Elizabeth Peters) is an old friend, and when I told her I needed an African legend about a lost civilization and treasure, and was wondering about using Zerzura, she said, “Hey kid, I didn’t invent that legend, it’s a ‘real’ legend. Use it with my blessing.”

So I did. Of course, I altered it, by having the “Sons of Kush” march westward all the way to the West Coast of Africa, and then sail out to make their new home on an island.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Re: Q & A with A. C. Crispin #7

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 pm

And as I mentioned earlier, I adore the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, and would heartily recommend it. I also have a sizable collection of romantic suspense books by Barbara Michaels, another of Barbara Mertz's pseudonyms.

And I don't just like her because my alma mater gave her an honorary doctorate (on top of her PhD in Egyptology, of course.) ;-)

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, I can see I've got a new series of books to read now...and from what I see on Amazon, it's a big series! :ok:

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:20 am

I'm with Teresa! Looks like I'm about to discover another author.

The way in which Ann wove in the legend worked very well. it's also amusing that Ms. Peters called Ann "kid". :lol:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:00 pm

I sure don’t need another series added to my reading list, which I can’t keep up with now, but after reading about these books I am with you ladies, sounds like good reading.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “A.C. Crispin”