Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #2

Author of THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #2

Unread postby Liz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:53 am

ONBC: Just curious here, but I wondered how you feel about the category in which your book is labeled. I read a lot of romance novels, and when I read this book I didn’t think of it as a romance but as an adventure story, pretty much the same as the pirate films. I find it hard to call it a romance when Jack makes it clear he likes all women - even the working women of Shipwreck Cove. I did like that Esmeralda was treated as an equal with Jack and accepts their relationship as no strings on either side and she was happy with it. I don’t like stories where women are either good or bad and men are neither, just experienced. LOL

Ann: I don’t think most bookstores knew how to shelve this book. It should have been shelved in science fiction and fantasy, not romance, and certainly not “literature” (which also happened!). I don’t know what category Disney released it as, come to think of it, or if they even assigned a category. On Amazon.com it’s been in the top 100 lists of both “historical fantasy” and “media tie-in.” Both categories are obviously appropriate. Romance it isn’t…not at all. The book is fantasy adventure and media tie-in, not a romance.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Re: Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #2

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:15 pm

That's interesting.

I can see that the book isn't a romance, but at the same time, it was the thread of romance running through it that I responded to the most..the romance of the sea, and of how sailors feel about it. And also Jack's private moments with Esmeralda and Ayisha.

I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of Jack's looking up at the stars and so on. That is a kind of romance for me, I think.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Sometimes I think that some feel if it’s called romance it will draw more women readers. They don’t realize that there are many of us who like adventure, sci fi, and historical fantasy. Same with films, adventure are considered men films and romance for women. Women like adventure too. :biggrin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 pm

gemini wrote:Women like adventure too. :biggrin:

:highfive:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:53 am

I had never thought about the business end of this, having to label a book as a specific type :dunce: . I would think the best books would be hard to stuff into a little pigeon hole.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 pm

There should be a label for best of all of the above - romance - adventure - fantasy - or just great reading!!!!!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 pm

nebraska wrote:I had never thought about the business end of this, having to label a book as a specific type :dunce: . I would think the best books would be hard to stuff into a little pigeon hole.

Some books clearly fit into a genre, but others don't. I remember Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas showing up in all sorts of different places, depending on the book store or library.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “A.C. Crispin”