Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #1

Author of THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #1

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:35 am

AVAST! :captainjack:

In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me mate, DITHOT and I are going to disrupt some sort of high-toned and fancy to-do up at the fort. We will begin posting the Q&A with Ann Crispin.

So grab your effects, hunker down, and drink up me hearties, yo ho. :toastingpirates:

Keep a sharp eye for the next few questions.

ONBC: Obviously there is a ton of research that went into writing Price of Freedom. Which did you find harder - the actual writing or the research? What tips do you have for other writers doing research (like where to start, how to approach it, good sources, etc.)?

Ann: I love doing research, because it mostly involves reading, and I love to read. I don’t trust the internet that much, so I use it as a “first line of defense” to get a general idea of what’s going on, then I verify the info in printed books. I use my local library a lot, and inter-library loan. I gave the Southern MD Library system an acknowledgment in the novel. I also researched by sailing on reproductions of antique sailing ships, such as the Kalmar Nyckel and Sultana. I like to experience things as much as I can, when I have to write about them. I also used to sail on a 28 foot sailboat with my dad in the Chesapeake Bay.

The writing is much harder than the research, but obviously, the writing is the ultimate goal of the research. You find out things in your research, and they fit into the book in ways you never planned for, because you didn’t know those things when you started.

Hope that answer helps!

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Re: Q&A with A.C. Crispin - #1

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks. Looks like this is going to be an interesting Q/A session. :toastingpirates:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks, Ann. I've been on the Cutty Sark and HMS Victory - I have to say that those experiences gave me a greater understanding of what life at sea must have been like in those days. I can imagine actually getting out on the water and experiencing a sailing boat (ship! :biggrin: ), would help immensely with the writing.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Jackslady wrote:Thanks, Ann. I've been on the Cutty Sark and HMS Victory - I have to say that those experiences gave me a greater understanding of what life at sea must have been like in those days. I can imagine actually getting out on the water and experiencing a sailing boat (ship! :biggrin: ), would help immensely with the writing.

:highfive: I was fortunate to sail on the Lady Washington which was the Interceptor in CoTBP. Was fun to see how much work adjusting the sails was and to walk on the same deck as Cap'n Jack Sparrow. I remember Ted and Terry talking about how much help the crew of Lady Washington was in polishing the script for POTC.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 pm

I also researched by sailing on reproductions of antique sailing ships, such as the Kalmar Nyckel and Sultana.

Now, that's what I call research! :sailboat:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:59 pm

I agree with everyone that time spent on a ship is excellent research for a pirate book. I sailed on my brothers sail boat, a bit smaller than those mentioned, but I do have replicas of the Cutty Sark and the HMS Victory. I spent much of my youth on boats in the ocean and nothing gives you the feel for that life better than time spent on the water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Great first question! I would think that the research is the "easy part" since I'm not a writer.

On a side note, I got to spend part of a summer (best summer camp ever) on a tall ship in Bermuda back in 1976 when I was 15. :capnjack:
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Delighted that Ms. Crispin is a fellow bibliophile. The web is great for finding out things, but nothing is better than turning the pages of a book; its really a sensual pleasure. Atlases, travel journals, histories, biographies ... but I'm preaching to the choir here.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm

shadowydog wrote:
Jackslady wrote:Thanks, Ann. I've been on the Cutty Sark and HMS Victory - I have to say that those experiences gave me a greater understanding of what life at sea must have been like in those days. I can imagine actually getting out on the water and experiencing a sailing boat (ship! :biggrin: ), would help immensely with the writing.

:highfive: I was fortunate to sail on the Lady Washington which was the Interceptor in CoTBP. Was fun to see how much work adjusting the sails was and to walk on the same deck as Cap'n Jack Sparrow. I remember Ted and Terry talking about how much help the crew of Lady Washington was in polishing the script for POTC.

Wow! That must have been amazing.

A long time ago I read the autobiography of Frederick Lightholler, one of the officers who survived the Titanic disaster. He wrote vividly about his experiences as a boy sailor, working aloft on sailing ships - this would have been in Victorian times. It was a very hard life even 150 or so years on from PoTC days.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Jackslady wrote:
shadowydog wrote:

Wow! That must have been amazing.

A long time ago I read the autobiography of Frederick Lightholler, one of the officers who survived the Titanic disaster. He wrote vividly about his experiences as a boy sailor, working aloft on sailing ships - this would have been in Victorian times. It was a very hard life even 150 or so years on from PoTC days.

What I found amazing was just how small these vessels are. I don't know if it is ok to post these here; :blush: but these are the pictures I took of the "Interceptor"

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks shadowydog. Nice photos!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:29 pm

gemini wrote:I agree with everyone that time spent on a ship is excellent research for a pirate book. I sailed on my brothers sail boat, a bit smaller than those mentioned, but I do have replicas of the Cutty Sark and the HMS Victory. I spent much of my youth on boats in the ocean and nothing gives you the feel for that life better than time spent on the water.

My brothers used to drink Cutty Sark, but I guess that's a different part of pirate research. :toastingpirates:

Unfortunately, I get terribly sea sick, so I've not had the sailing experiences. But I am amazed at all the hard work that goes into sailing one of those ships. After reading the tidbits for this and OST, I am much more appreciative of the details of the ships in old Hollywood pirate/sailing movies.

Thanks, SD, for the pics!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks for the pictures, Shadowdog! :cool:

SnoopyDances, I'm with you over by the rail. I get terribly sea sick. I'm afraid I would have been a washout as a pirate. :yuck2:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:56 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for the pictures, Shadowdog! :cool:

SnoopyDances, I'm with you over by the rail. I get terribly sea sick. I'm afraid I would have been a washout as a pirate. :yuck2:

I would also be joining you ladies at the rail. My family always had sea legs so my stomach never kept us on shore. As I said time at sea is great research for the pirate life in many different ways. I have heard even the best of sea farers can get sea sick if it gets rough enough. :lol:

Return to “A.C. Crispin”