DS Question #18 - Originality

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

DS Question #18 - Originality

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:52 am

Dark Shadows was an original and groundbreaking idea. Can you think of other shows that had a similar impact?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Lou Lou 63

Re: DS Question #18 - Originality

Unread postby Lou Lou 63 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:55 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Dark Shadows was an original and groundbreaking idea. Can you think of other shows that had a similar impact?

One recent one comes to mind "24" that was one really groundbreaking show, and one of my all time favourite shows :biggrin:

"There are no strings on ME!!" Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't": Johnny on music.
Thanks to HG for my AVI'S

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Lou Lou 63 wrote:One recent one comes to mind "24" that was one really groundbreaking show, and one of my all time favourite shows :biggrin:

Oh yeah, because it was supposed to take place in real time. That was pretty cool.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Lou Lou 63

Unread postby Lou Lou 63 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Liz wrote:
Lou Lou 63 wrote:One recent one comes to mind "24" that was one really groundbreaking show, and one of my all time favourite shows :biggrin:

Oh yeah, because it was supposed to take place in real time. That was pretty cool.

Although Johnny trumped that when he made " Nick Of Time" a few years earlier, that movie was set in "Real Time" too

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

As a huge fan of the X Files over the years, I would like to give it a mention. I think the subject matter of aliens, paranormal, government conspiracies, etc was not new, but I felt like the show presented those things with a different twist.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Nebraska, I thought of X-Files too, but I couldn't put my finger on how it was groundbreaking. I think it was just the original storylines. I loved that show!

Lou Lou, I forgot about Nick of Time. But I had not seen that until after I had seen "24" and I remember at the time thinking that it had trumped "24." I think a lot of people did not see the movie (like myself) and also when they made such a to do about it I think it was because it was the first time on TV.

I would also say that reality shows were groundbreaking.....Which was the first? I've never been a real big reality TV fan, so don't ask me.

I feel like LOST was groundbreaking, but I can't explain how. Need to think on that. Maybe because it seemed so real, but wasn't. ;)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Liz wrote:Nebraska, I thought of X-Files too, but I couldn't put my finger on how it was groundbreaking. I think it was just the original storylines. I loved that show!

The original story lines and the characters -- Mulder and Scully , the Cigarette Smoking Man, the Lone Gunmen. I don't know, they all had a uniqueness about them and certainly the combination of the characters together.

Lou Lou 63

Unread postby Lou Lou 63 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:12 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote:Nebraska, I thought of X-Files too, but I couldn't put my finger on how it was groundbreaking. I think it was just the original storylines. I loved that show!

The original story lines and the characters -- Mulder and Scully , the Cigarette Smoking Man, the Lone Gunmen. I don't know, they all had a uniqueness about them and certainly the combination of the characters together.

I loved The X Files too :highfive:

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Being a TV junkie since childhood...I'll sink my teeth into this one:
(in no particular order, just as I thought of them)

1: Milton Berle (Father of television...first commercial success in the new medium)
2. Your Show of Shows (unique variety show, never has been another one like it, but paved the way for dozens of others)
3. I Love Lucy (considered the original sitcom and first to be recorded first on tape, not broadcast live)
4. Ed Sullivan (first variety show to feature original acts: comedy, musical, drama, Broadway, etc. )
5. Star Trek (first outer space drama)
6. All in the Family (breaking racial barriers, dealing with current issues)
7. M*A*S*H (first dramady, featuring reality of war)
8. Saturday Night Live ( first late night variety show: often imitated, never duplicated)
9. The Bill Cosby Show (1980s) (a family show featuring successful black family, commercially successful across all races)
10. The Simpsons (first and longest-running animated sitcom)
11. The Real World (first "reality" show and first gay-themed)
12. Seinfeld (sitcom about "nothing")
13. 24 (real time format)
14. Dallas (original)( first prime time soap)
15. CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite (beginning of a network evening news show)
16. The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (king of late night talk shows, others before and after, but none as successful)
17. Survivor (first commercial success reality tv)
18. Roots (first mini-series and first breaking racial barriers)
19. Jeopardy (Only game show to provide the answers and the contestants had to provide the questions) (I'll ignore the game show scandals, although only groundbreaking in scandal, they did pave the way for better control and fairness of future game shows)
20. Julia and Mary Tyler Moore Shows (Mary's is the most famous for advancing successful single women, but Julia was the first--and she was the first African-American female lead)
21. American Idol (paved way for other competitive reality-type shows, not the first to do this, but the most unique approach by using texting and Web.)

I'm sure there are others...but these were the first to come to mind.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 am

Great list, Snoopy! Would have to agree with several of those -- Saturday Night Live and the Simpsons certainly were ground-breaking originals. And All In the Family.
Husband and I watched a couple of episodes of In Living Color on DVD last night. I would add it to the list. The content on there would never be allowed today!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Well thought out list, Snoopy! I thought of one addition - Sesame Street.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 pm

The Simpsons certainly wins hands-down in the animated longevity area, but it wasn't the first animated sitcom. That honor goes to The Flintstones which debuted in 1960!

I am very impressed with your list, Snoopy!
:ok:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm

That's quite a list, Snoopy. :applause: And I would agree. Mary Tyler Moore and Saturday Night Live are especially good ones.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Jack Paar created the format Johnny Carson took over. And I think All in The Family was one of the most important break through innovations in TV and led to TV series featuring blacks.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:39 pm

shadowydog wrote:Jack Paar created the format Johnny Carson took over. And I think All in The Family was one of the most important break through innovations in TV and led to TV series featuring blacks.

:yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”