DS Question #18 - Originality

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

SnoopyDances

Re: DS Question #18 - Originality

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 pm

shadowydog wrote:Jack Paar created the format Johnny Carson took over. And I think All in The Family was one of the most important break through innovations in TV and led to TV series featuring blacks.

Jack Paar may have created the format, but Johnny made it his own and every late night host has tried to copy it. No one is copying Jack Paar or Steve Allen, who had the show before Jack. No one is copying Jay or Dave or Conan...
They are copying Johnny.
Unfortunately, no one has come close to what Johnny was able to achieve.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Theresa wrote:The Simpsons certainly wins hands-down in the animated longevity area, but it wasn't the first animated sitcom. That honor goes to The Flintstones which debuted in 1960!

I am very impressed with your list, Snoopy!
:ok:

The Flintstones were first, but were a direct steal of the Honeymooners. Nothing original or groundbreaking there. Jackie Gleason already paved that road.

When I said "first", I meant the first to have such original, adult themes and not just another cartoon for the kiddies. My bad for not expanding on my earlier statement. :banghead:

The Simpsons was and truly remains unique. Again, it is what others try to emulate and often don't succeed.

:cool: It also started as a bit on the Tracey Ullman show and, technically, is a spin-off. But if you ever saw those original bits on her show, you would notice a huge difference. First, the voice of Homer was done by someone different and the episodes were not very good quality. At least Fox was able to recognize the potential and gave the creators a bigger budget. :lol:

Another piece of trivia, Conan O'Brien used to be a writer on the show. ;)
Last edited by SnoopyDances on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 pm

nebraska wrote:Great list, Snoopy! Would have to agree with several of those -- Saturday Night Live and the Simpsons certainly were ground-breaking originals. And All In the Family.
Husband and I watched a couple of episodes of In Living Color on DVD last night. I would add it to the list. The content on there would never be allowed today!

:ok:
Nope, definitely couldn't do that show today.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:44 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:When I said "first", I meant the first to have such original, adult themes and not just another cartoon for the kiddies. My bad for not expanding on my earlier statement. :banghead:

The Simpsons was and truly remains unique. Again, it is what others try to emulate and often don't succeed.

:cool: It also started as a bit on the Tracey Ullman show and, technically, is a spin-off. But if you ever saw those original bits on her show, you would notice a huge difference. First, the voice of Homer was done by someone different and the episodes were not very good quality. At least Fox was able to recognize the potential and gave the creators a bigger budget. :lol:

Another piece of trivia, Conan O'Brien used to be a writer on the show. ;)

I got that about The Simpsons...the adult themes, that is. But I had no idea that The Flinstones was inspired by The Honeymooners. Slaps head. :dunce: BUT as I say this, another show comes to mind. I Love Lucy. It was the same time frame as The Honeymoners. I guess we could say that both of those shows made an impact.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”