It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: DS Question #4 - Vampires!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am 

Page 3: “1967 - Jonathan Frid joins the cast as reluctant vampire Barnabas Collins and saves the series from cancellation.”

Vampires have held a fascination through the ages. Dracula, Nosferatu, Lestat, Barnabas, Buffy, The Twilight Series, there is even a vampire on Sesame Street!

What is the fascination with vampires?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: DS Question #4 - Vampires!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

I suppose the idea of Eternal Life, blood being the life force, and the need to take/steal it from others for existence. Although, if you have to keep replenishing then it isn't really eternal is it? :perplexed:

I have never really caught vampire fever myself, I think my early associations were with the image of frightening monsters. But I must say, watching some old DS shows recently I was amazed at how ecstatic (using the word ecstasy literally) the ladies seemed to be as the blood was drained from their necks. It made me think I may have picked the wrong mate when I selected a mortal. :flirt:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:46 pm 

nebraska wrote:
I suppose the idea of Eternal Life, blood being the life force, and the need to take/steal it from others for existence. Although, if you have to keep replenishing then it isn't really eternal is it? :perplexed:

I have never really caught vampire fever myself, I think my early associations were with the image of frightening monsters. But I must say, watching some old DS shows recently I was amazed at how ecstatic (using the word ecstasy literally) the ladies seemed to be as the blood was drained from their necks. It made me think I may have picked the wrong mate when I selected a mortal. :flirt:

:lol: Everything has tradeoffs, nebraska!

I never really caught the fever either but when I started thinking about how many characters have appeared in all forms of media for years it made me wonder. Sure you have the zombie craze from time to time, the occasional creature from the black lagoon, or Frankenstein type but other than ghosts I couldn't really think of any type of horror figure that has stood the test of time and keep coming back to life...no pun intended...well maybe. ;-) Maybe ghosts and vampires have a way of fascinating us because they never truly "die"?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I think that there is something to that….the idea of eternal life. My fascination (or fear) of vampires occurred when I was much younger…much before DS. I must have been about 6 or 7? I’d watch old movies on TV (probably Bela Legosi). And I was very much afraid of them. I think I went through a period where I really thought that they existed and worried at night. I think, though, when The Munsters came on the scene, making light of them, I lost my fear of them. DS shortly followed. And I don’t remember Barnabas being all that scary.

As I grew older I lost my fascination with them. I never got into Buffy or Twilight. I did like Interview with a Vampire, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and The Night Stalker.

And I have never read a book about them. Just had no desire.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:22 pm 

Liz wrote:
I think that there is something to that….the idea of eternal life. My fascination (or fear) of vampires occurred when I was much younger…much before DS. I must have been about 6 or 7? I’d watch old movies on TV (probably Bela Legosi). And I was very much afraid of them. I think I went through a period where I really thought that they existed and worried at night. I think, though, when The Munsters came on the scene, making light of them, I lost my fear of them. DS shortly followed. And I don’t remember Barnabas being all that scary.

As I grew older I lost my fascination with them. I never got into Buffy or Twilight. I did like Interview with a Vampire, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and The Night Stalker.

And I have never read a book about them. Just had no desire.

To me, growing up, it was the sexual context. :blush: The vampire always bit the female; she became his to own. :sigh: :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm 

Vampires are usually suave, handsome and charismatic. They have a way lulling you into a false security and if that didn't work, they could hypnotize you. :cape:
They were counts or men of wealth, mysterious, "lived" in unique homes (castles and such), dressed well, educated and always knew who their enemies were.
They were also undone by a beautiful woman.
They never wanted to be in their position, it was always some curse. They killed to survive, just like any living creature and were often portrayed as pathetic and vulnerable. You wanted to feel sorry for them, even if they were evil.
You felt driving that stake through his heart was a "mercy" killing. Now his spirit is at peace. :chill: Oh, and the world is saved.

Frankenstein, werewolves, zombies, the blob, Godzilla, creature from the Black Lagoon, etc., were just the opposite. They were monsters. They killed for greed or revenge or, well, because they were monsters. You were instantly frightened by them, they were incapable of human feelings (like falling in love with a beautiful woman) and they destroyed everything in their paths. And, let's face it, they weren't much to look at. :ohno:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm 

Oh really now, shadowydog? ;-)

Snoopy, I get your point. We mortals can sympathize more with the human element of the vampires - and agreed most were much better looking than your other monsters!
:-)

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am 

:innocent:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm 

I've never gone gaga over a vampire before. I saw the movies with Cruise and Langella. I can't see the new Sandler movie having that effect on women. :harhar: Pass. It is a cartoon though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]