DS Question #12 - Compare Jonathan’s and Johnny’s portrayal of Barnabas

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

DS Question #12 - Compare Jonathan’s and Johnny’s portrayal of Barnabas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am

How would you compare Jonathan’s and Johnny’s portrayal of Barnabas?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: DS Question #12 - How would you compare Jonathan’s and Johnny’s portrayal of Bar

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:16 pm

I haven't seen much of the old DS progams, just a few scenes here and there in tidbits and on you tube. It seems to me the old Barnabus was much more serious and Johnny had a somewhat lighter version of him. But that may have also been due to the story line and the times/directors, rather than the individual actor's vision.

Pearlsgirl

Re: DS Question #12 - Compare Jonathan’s and Johnny’s portrayal of Barnabas

Unread postby Pearlsgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Jonathan Frid's portrayal was much darker and more mysterious...more vampire, in my opinion. The comedy aspect was not there at all. To be honest, that's what I was really hoping for with Johnny's Barnabas - the dark and mysterious, made even more so by Johnny's inimitable talent and his sexy, brooding eyes and good looks. I would have been content with his "Sweeney Todd" type of character in Collinsport.
Gather yourself by the sea, I will love you there. Assemble yourself with wild things, songs of the sparrow and seafoam. Let mad beauty collect in your eyes - for I long for a man with nests of wild things in his hair. A man who will Kiss the Flame.

Lou Lou 63

Unread postby Lou Lou 63 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Jonathan may have brought a seriousness to Barnabas, but Johnny brought a vulnarability that only he can to Barnabas, he also brought a dark humor and a sense of real sinister too, I LOVED Johnny's portrayl so much I went to see DS 2012 9 TIMES AT THE CINEMA :truefan: :cloud9: :coffin:

"There are no strings on ME!!" Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't": Johnny on music.
Thanks to HG for my AVI'S

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:42 pm

I agree with all of you. Johnny did have a seriousness to him, though. A seriousness that was somewhat comical…..because he took himself so seriously. And so did Frid’s Barnabas. I’ve looked back at a couple of scenes and thought Frid was quite dramatic. And I think Johnny was too.

I loved Johnny’s portrayal also, Lou Lou. I would have gone back to the theater if I could have, but that was the busiest time of year in my business, so I couldn’t take the time. I will definitely be viewing it again on DVD.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm

For me it was an apples and oranges situaion. While Johnny definitely gave a respectful nod to Jonathan and the original Barnabas he took the character and updated it. The film allowed an actor much more freedom than the soap opera genre and well, let's face it...it is Johnny and Tim! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”