DS Question #11 - On the Edit Room Floor

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

DS Question #11 - On the Edit Room Floor

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

On pg. 189 Darren Gross talks about how the studio execs cut/edited (more like butchered) Night of Dark Shadows. MGM studio head James Aubrey said, according to Dan Curtis: “It’s a tight little thriller.” Dan said: “But it doesn’t make any sense!” to which Aubrey replied: “With your audience, it doesn’t matter.”

Comment.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Re: DS Question #11 - On the Edit Room Floor

Unread postby shadowydog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

:lol: I remember the outcry over the cuts; kind of like The Libertine. But I am hoping the re-edited version restores the original movie.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Editing can absolutely ruin a movie. As SD said, the Libertine cuts removed vital information about the Earl and the war experiences that haunted him. Another one is Dances With Wolves, one of my very favorite movies of all time -- scenes explaining why Dunbar was alone at the fort were removed, which made it unclear what had happened and why he was still there and clouded the entire movie story.

Editing is hard, I get that -- my DGD's graduation video required painful cuts, and often when I am writing an essay, I find I must cut out the passages that I love the most. But one should not cut necessary parts to fit into an artificial framework.

The idea that the DS audience was too ....... naive? which is a euphemism for what was meant -- well, that is just insulting and I am sure not true. The faux pas of "live TV" were one thing, glaring omissions in a movie at the cinema a completely different matter.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 pm

I think, especially today, there is such a rush to get it into theaters, then out of theaters and on DVD, that a lot of good work is left on the cutting room floor.
Plus you have take out all of those boring actors to insert some CGI creation. :rolleyes:

And sometimes, it's the director who just can't stop tweaking. Like an artist with a painting, every time he looks at it, he has to add or change something.

Michael Mann certainly chopped the heck out of Public Enemies. It was great cinematography, but poor story telling.

There have been many others, too.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

I agree things can be overedited for whatever reasons. Totally agree about The Libertine! :grr:

I took James Aubrey's comment as an insult to the audience. As if they were too stupid to care about a good story.
:rolleyes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:26 pm

I took it that way, too, DITHOT. And thus, I was insulted. I also felt bad for Grayson Hall, because didn't most of the cuts involve her?

And it bothers me that studio execs have so much control over a movie when maybe the director knows better. I think that there should be a certain level of trust given to a director.

Thank goodness Johnny was allowed to play Captain Jack the way he wanted to. Just think how things might be different if the execs had interfered with that.
:yikes:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Agree Liz. I have often wondered how much of Johnny's attitude about how his job ends on set and he has no care or responsiblity to care what happens after that was as a result of the fact that almost all of his hard work to create the best character he could in Platoon ended up on the edit room floor.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Lou Lou 63

Unread postby Lou Lou 63 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:55 pm

shadowydog wrote:Agree Liz. I have often wondered how much of Johnny's attitude about how his job ends on set and he has no care or responsiblity to care what happens after that was as a result of the fact that almost all of his hard work to create the best character he could in Platoon ended up on the edit room floor.

I'll never forgive Oliver Stone for butchering Johnny's role out of Platoon :mad:

"There are no strings on ME!!" Ultron in Avengers: Age of Ultron

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't": Johnny on music.
Thanks to HG for my AVI'S

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Lou Lou 63 wrote:
shadowydog wrote:Agree Liz. I have often wondered how much of Johnny's attitude about how his job ends on set and he has no care or responsiblity to care what happens after that was as a result of the fact that almost all of his hard work to create the best character he could in Platoon ended up on the edit room floor.

I'll never forgive Oliver Stone for butchering Johnny's role out of Platoon :mad:

I think even then there was fear he would out shine everyone else in the cast. In the end, it didn't work out very well for them. Look at where Johnny's career has gone!

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”