DS Question #7 - The Vatican

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

DS Question #7 - The Vatican

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Pg. 61.

While Ben (her boyfriend) worked, Joel (Crothers – who was her best friend) and I went sightseeing. At the Vatican we were prevented from entering because of my miniskirt. At Joel’s suggestion, I unzipped the skirt and let it hang on my hips with three inches of bare belly showing. Then, suitably attired, we toured the Museum and Basilica.

Why is it OK for a belly to show but not leg?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: DS Question #7 - The Vatican

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Who knows? :biglaugh: Maybe it was in the official rule book and was an oversight by someone who never dreamed anyone would attempt this.

I know it wouldn't have passed the muster in my high school where girls had to kneel and get their skirt waistbands unrolled until the skirt hem touched the floor! And sleeveless tops were not allowed. Of course, we wore uniforms, and bare midriffs were not mentioned in the uniform regulations that I can remember, either.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 pm

The Dress Code for Visiting the Vatican in Rome
The Vatican Museums that include the Sistine Chapel have the classification in regards to dress codes as any other church or place of worship in Italy. So what to wear at the Vatican? When visiting the Vatican Museums in Rome all visitors males and females should wear as a minimum clothing that covers both their shoulders and knees.
So if you are visiting the Vatican in the hotter summer months, an applicable dress code for the Vatican would be a t-shirt and bermuda shorts that at least caste a shadow on your knees. As a sign of respect most visitors wear long-sleeve shirts and a pair of long pants.
For those visiting the Vatican who come unprepared, as a way to skip around the dress code of the Vatican you can purchase plastic cloaks that you can wrap around yourself to cover your knees and shoulders. But, in the warmer summer months walking around in such a garment would not be very pleasant so plan ahead and pack accordingly so that you won't be disappointed on your travels in Italy.
Some people may think that the Vatican has very strict dress codes, but throughout Italy you will find many up-market restaurants and bars that won't allow customers to enter if they are not wearing long-pants and an appropiate shirt.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 am

Well, I know about the rules. But I am still shocked that a bare midriff would be ok, when knees aren't. It probably never occurred to them to put that in the rules, though.

I've always had a hard time with that rule at the Vatican, and also at the Sistine Chapel (which has the same rule, I believe). But then Catholicism has always been about rules.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 am

Liz wrote:Well, I know about the rules. But I am still shocked that a bare midriff would be ok, when knees aren't. It probably never occurred to them to put that in the rules, though.

I've always had a hard time with that rule at the Vatican, and also at the Sistine Chapel (which has the same rule, I believe). But then Catholicism has always been about rules.

I suppose that a leg, especially above the knee, would be a much more erotic zone than the midriff because of it's proximity to the naughty bits. :perplexed:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 am

Hadn't thought about that, nebraska. :lol: Kind of reminds me of the patent leather shoe mentality.

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”