DS Question #2 - Soaps

by Kathryn Leigh Scott & Jim Pierson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

DS Question #2 - Soaps

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Did any of you watch daytime soaps, ever? If so, when? Which ones? If you watched DS, compare the others to DS before it involved vampires, ghosts and werewolves.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Re: DS Question #2 - Soaps

Unread postby shadowydog » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Ok. In those days I was a hard working teacher and only saw soaps when I was on vacation. I remember watching DS and Days of Our Lives back then because members of the family watched them when I was visiting back in the late 60s.

I know my mother watched soaps as I was growing up, but don't remember much about them.

I only saw the pre-Barnabus DS when it was repeated on the SciFi channel in the 90s. It was (in my opinion) a soap based on Jane Eyre with a governess coming into a house and family with hidden rooms and secrets. Was different from most other soaps; but was tame compared to what it would become when the Phoenix entered the scene before Barnabas appeared.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I watched several soaps back in the day, but I think General Hospital was my favorite -- way way back when the stories were about nurse Jessie and wasn't her worthless husband's name Phil? and Steve the head of the hospital, and Luke and Laura. And we all got introduced to Richard Simmons at his exercise studio. :lol: I also watched One Life to Live and the Young and the Restless over the years. I don't mean to say I sat glued to my TV for hours every day :rolleyes: , but back then the television was usually on from morning til night so I caught bits and pieces of lots of shows. This would have been in the 80s when my children were elementary school age, I think, so probably 25 to 30 years ago. After I started working a payroll job, my soap days came to an end and I haven't bothered to pick them up again, mostly because I spend all my time here now.

I never watched Dark Shadows, but I wish I had! I think it would have been more fun than the ones I did watch.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

I remember my mom watching Days of Our Lives when I was young. I started watching All My Children when it started and stayed with it until it went off the air last year. :bawl: When I could I would tape it and found I could watch it in about 35 minutes by zipping through the commercials. When I was a stay at home mom with little ones at home I watched all the ABC soaps starting with Ryan's Hope and ending with General Hospital. Like nebraska, I remember those early days of GH with Steve and Jesse, Richard Simmons :-O and of course the famous Luke and Laura story line. AMC was always my favorite though.

I do remember watching DS but I remember the characters of Barnabas and Dr. Hoffman more than I remember any of the storylines. I do think the supernatural element set it apart but the storylines seemed similar to a typical soap.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Just as I was catching up on the discussion here, I heard on Fox news (that is constantly on in my house while my DH is present), that Jerry Sandusky's attorney, Joe Amendola, told reporters yesterday to "stay tuned" to find out if Sandusky would take the stand himself, comparing the case to a soap opera. When asked which soap, Amendola said: "General Hospital, change that -- like All My Children."

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:03 pm

So, as I detailed in the History Soap Operas tidbit thread, I was a big GH (1977-2004) and AMC (1970-2011) fan back in the day – although I’d miss months at a time of each, depending on what was going on in my life. I was pretty regular in the summers during high school and when I was a stay-at-home mom from 1989 to 2004. I haven’t watched GH since then. But I had watched AMC for a period in 2009 and then during its final months through to its unsatisfying conclusion. :-/ I also watched, for a time, back in the 70s The Young and the Restless, Ryan’s Hope and One Life to Live (the latter 2 also canceled).

I didn’t watch DS until after Barnabas arrived. So that’s why I don’t know how it compared to other soaps in the beginning. I started watching in the late 60s, but I don’t know how many years I watched it. And I had forgotten the storylines. But I did remember many of the characters – Josette, Maggie, Barnabas, Angelique, Victoria, Elizabeth, Carolyn, Julia, and Quentin. They were all so unique and memorable.

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I remember watching the soaps every summer while off from school. I also remember favorite storylines, like Ben & Eve, and of course, Beth & Philip from Guiding Light. Also, Tom & Margo on ATWT in the days when Justin Deas & Margaret Colin had those roles. Anyone remember the Mr. Big storyline? :grin:

I can vaguely remember watching some of DS, but no specifics. I don't think I watched it long, but Mom says she couldn't understand why I wanted to. :lol: I don't remember ever being scared by it, just interested in all of the dramatics.
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Never cared for soap operas and couldn't understand why so many people were hooked on them.
I watched Dark Shadows, not because it was a soap, but because it had vampires, witches and werewolves....that was the extent of my movie watching, too. I loved Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre...all that stuff.
But soap operas? :freaked: How unrealistic can you get? :bigwink:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:38 am

SnoopyDances wrote:Never cared for soap operas and couldn't understand why so many people were hooked on them.
I watched Dark Shadows, not because it was a soap, but because it had vampires, witches and werewolves....that was the extent of my movie watching, too. I loved Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre...all that stuff.

Sadly, in my lifetime I have seen a lot of people who seem to live the chaotic multiple-partner lives of drama that are frequently seen on the soaps. :-/ I am a bit too lazy for all of that myself.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 pm

nebraska wrote:
SnoopyDances wrote:Never cared for soap operas and couldn't understand why so many people were hooked on them.

Sadly, in my lifetime I have seen a lot of people who seem to live the chaotic multiple-partner lives of drama that are frequently seen on the soaps. :-/ I am a bit too lazy for all of that myself.

I agree. I remember at the one DS convention I went to. People were addressing the panel of cast members. One young gal (maybe late teens early 20s) stood up and told them that they were the only reason she got of bed in the morning :rolleyes: . Karlin (Willie Loomis) told her she needed to get a life. :sigh:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 pm

nebraska wrote:

I have been known to frequently say, "life is a soap opera." The longer I live, the more I am witness to it. :-/

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Yes, but when you are 6-10 years old, soap operas really seem silly.
Unless, of course, there are vampires and witches and werewolves and ghosts... :biggrin:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

When I was a teenager, there was a brand new soap that I decided I would watch...from the very beginning. I think it was "Ryan's Hope," but I'm not sure. I watched about two weeks of it, and I have a vague memory of someone falling down the stairs in super-slow motion for those two weeks.

I never watched it (or any other soap) again.
:biggrin:

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 pm

I remember my grandma watching GH. I have watched Y&R, AMC and DOOL. Mostly due to a local actor appearing on them.
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

jdfan

Unread postby jdfan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:06 pm

nebraska wrote:

I know!! 3 husbands by 35 and kids by 5 different men. And they say soaps aren't real. :harhar:
I'm cooler online-Brad Paisley

Return to “Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood”